Pitchero ad

Boxing Day Off For The Leaders – Whites Take Closer Order

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Evo-Stik League South West leaders Taunton Town had Boxing Day off as their scheduled match at Paulton Rovers was one of four postponed.

With Bristol Manor Farm suffering the same fate at Larkhall Athletic, they dropped to fourth after wins for both Salisbury FC and Wimborne Town.

In front of a crowd of 591 at the Testwood Stadium, Salisbury beat sixth-placed AFC Totton 3-1 to slip into second place, albeit still ten points behind Taunton.

Stuart Green gave the Whites an early 7th minute lead that Lewis Benson doubled 7 minutes before the break.

Jacob Wannell made sure the points went to Wiltshire with a third just past the hour-mark, with Charlie Gunson netting a Stags consolation 2 minutes into stoppage time.

Wimborne beat seventh-placed Winchester City 3-0 at Cuthbury to go third.

It wasn`t until 3 minutes into the second half that the Magpies took the lead when Billy Maybury drove a free-kick low into the area where Matt Oldring steered the ball into the net.

The second goal came on 65 minutes when Stefan Penny strode into the area and stroked the ball into the far corner.
The clinching goal came on 75 minutes when a Luke Holmes corner found Toby Holmes, who delicately lifted the ball over the prostrate Ryan Pryce.

Bideford could have moved into the top six had they won the Devon derby at home to second-bottom Barnstaple Town.

But as is often the case in derby games, league positions can count for little as a crowd of 601 saw Craig Duff give the hosts a 55th minute breakthrough.

But Barum grabbed an 88th minute equaliser from Karl Rickard.

Two goals in stoppage time rescued an unlikely point for Didcot Town at neighbours Kidlington and move the Railwaymen to within a point of the top six.

It was Kidlington who took an early 2nd minute lead when former Didcot midfielder Lance Williams was given time and freedom to plant a looping header over Leigh Bedwell.

But some sustained pressure from Didcot was then rewarded when Felipe Barcelos got ahead of his marker to prod the ball over the line.

Then on 35 minutes, Anaclet Odhiambo made it 2-1 to the hosts.

It wasn`t until 6 minutes from time that Kidlington looked tro have put the game to bed when another ex-Didcot player, Mark Janes, was left with a free header from 6 yards.

The board went up for 4 minutes of stoppage time.

And there the drama started as Louis Joyce crossed for fellow sub Josh Pin to convert from close range to give Didcot seemingly a consolation goal after 91minutes.

The hosts then lost full-back Eddie Odhaimbo to a second yellow card and as the clock ticked over into the 94th minute, Didcot skipper Adam Learoyd met a free-kick at the back post and headed towards the penalty spot where Sam Elkins acrobatically met it with an incredible overhead kick which flew into the top corner for 3-3.

Cirencester Town recovered from an early goal down to record a valuable victory against their high-flying neighbours, Swindon Supermarine.

Joe Selman gave `Marine a 3rd minute lead that Tommy Ouldridge cancelled out after 22 minutes.

Ben whitehead then had Ciren in front after 34 minutes, only for Josh Parsons to equalise on 66 minutes.

Parity lasted barely a minute though as Henry Spalding restored Cirencester`s lead and Aidan Bennett made sure with a fourth 3 minutes later.

Third-bottom Mangotsfield United suffered a 3-1 Cossham Street defeat to neighbours Yate Town, who are now eleventh.

A Josh Nelmes own goal gave the Bluebells a 15th minute lead that Adam Price doubled 9 minutes before half-time.

Ben Brooks added a crucial third for the visitors in the 69th minute, with all the Mangos could muster being an 89th minute Charlie Maddison consolation.

Evesham United won 2-0 at North Leigh in the day`s other game that went ahead.

Lewis Powell gave the visitors a 28th minute lead and Matt Liddiard added a second after 67 minutes.


About Author

Comments are closed.