Pitchero ad

Daggers Lose Unbeaten Record And Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Dagenham & Redbridge lost both their unbeaten record and the leadership of the Vanarama National League on Saturday.

John Still`s side became Hartlepool United`s third successive victims as Craig Harrison`s improving side won 1-0 at the Victoria Ground.

Hartlepool put in a hardworking and patient display.

Jonathan Franks got the only goal of the game, chipping Daggers` keeper Mark Cousins to bag the winner with 74 minutes gone on the clock.

Dover Athletic are the new leaders after earning a 2-0 win at the EBB Stadium against Aldershot Town.

The Whites took a 35th minute lead when Giancarlo Gallifuoco glanced a header past Jake Cole after a neat short corner routine between Mitch Brundle and Nortei Nortey.

The home side will count themselves a little unfortunate to have gone into the break behind after dominating for long periods, but they weren`t able to find a killer touch.

James Rowe forced a good save out of Dover keeper Mitch Walker on the hour-mark, but 5 minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead with a find solo goal from Kadell Daniel, who intercepted a pass on the halfway line and ran on to beat Cole.

Dover kept Aldershot mainly to long-range efforts after that and held firm for three valuable points.

Leyton Orient, who came down from League Two with Hartlepool at the end of last season, saw their four-game unbeaten run come to an end at Meadow Park against a lively Boreham Wood side

The hosts dominated for most of the game and goals from Danny Woodards after 35 minutes and Keiran Murtagh 5 minutes into the second half sealed a convincing win for Luke Garrard`s side.

Maidstone United enjoyed a good 3-1 win against Woking at the Gallagher Stadium.

Zavon Hines scored the only goal of the first half to give the Stones a 34th minute lead.

Then on 66 minutes, Delano Sam-Yorke scored his first goal of the season against his former club to double the home side`s lead.

Joe Ward replied for Woking 6 minutes later, but Joe Pigott made sure of the points with a third 5 minutes after that as the Stones claimed their third win of the campaign to date.

A brace from Matty Kosylo helped move FC Halifax Town into the top seven in as they beat newcomers Maidenhead United 3-2 at The Shay.

Maidenhead, who started the day above the Shaymen in the table, were brushed aside as Town made it four wins out of their last five games.

Adam Morgan converted Josh Macdonald’s cross after 28 minutes to give the hosts a slender half-time lead.

But Kosylo’s double in the 56th and 67th minutes put the result beyond doubt, despite Jake Goodman’s effort for the away side on 79 minutes and an even later goal by Sean Marks in stoppage time, but it was too little, too late by then.

Tranmere Rovers are beginning to climb the table after a slow start to the campaign, but it took a stoppage time goal to overcome managerless Barrow AFC at Prenton Park.

Tranmere were the better side in the opening exchanges, but both efforts they mustered were from range, Jay Harris hitting a poor shot wide under pressure from Jimmy Dunne and James Norwood forcing Stuart Moore into a save low down by his right-hand post.

Barrow were hanging on, but they could not survive, as Moussa Diarra gave away the ball inside his own area and could not stop Norwood breaking clear and firing home from a narrow angle 3 minutes into time added on at the end of the game.

Another side looking for a new manager, Chester FC, were denied a long overdue home victory as Ebbsfleet United held out for a 1-1 draw.

After a dramatic week at the Swansway Chester Stadium, which saw the club part company with manager Jon McCarthy after a disappointing start to the season, James Akintunde’s 83rd minute equaliser earned the Blues a share of the spoils after Jack Powell had fired the visitors ahead with a stunning long-range effort just shy of the hour-mark.

Solihull Moors find themselves in the bottom three after losing 1-0 at the Automated Technology Group Stadium against Macclesfield Town.

After a fairly even opening 45 minutes, Moors had a great chance to take the lead 8 minutes into the second half when Oladapo Afolayan was tripped in the area, but Silkmen `keeper Shwan Jalal saved Darren Carter`s resulting penalty.

Darren Carter miss

And on 62 minutes, Macc punished Moors further by scoring what proved to be the only goal of the game when Scott Wilson skipped round a couple of defenders before slotting calmly past Nathan Vaughan.

AFC Fylde battled back from two-down to earn a point at Mill Farm against Bromley.

The visitors took an early 9th minute lead when Luke Wanadio crossed low for Frankie Sutherland to side-foot the ball past Rhys Taylor in the Coasters goal.

The hosts almost equalised in the 35th minute when a looping cross from Zaine Francis-Angol bounced off the crossbar.
But 5 minutes into the second half, Bromley made it 2-0 when Josh Rees steered the ball past Taylor from a corner.

However, on 67 minutes, a shot from Henry Jones was blocked and the ball fell kindly for sub Serhat Tasdemir to beat David Gregory.

And 2 minutes later, the scores were all-square when Danny Rowe picked a ball up from Jones on the edge of the box and fired past Gregory from the angle.

Jones twice went close to winning it for Dave Challoner`s side, but a draw was probably just about right on the day.

It also finished all-square at the Knights Community Stadium between Sutton United and Gateshead.

Both goals came from the penalty spot.

The Tynesiders were given the first spot-kick after 15 minutes after Danny Johnson had been brought down by Louis John and Johnson dusted himself down to send Jamie Butler the wrong way.

And on 27 minutes, a foul by Theo Vassell on Craig Eastmond allowed Simon Walton to pull the U`s back on level terms from 12 yards.

The second half was delayed by the referee due to thunder and lightning overhead and, despite some late pressure from Sutton, Gateshead held on for a good point.

Former Barrow boss Paul Cox started his spell in charge of Guiseley AFC with a point from a goalless draw with Eastleigh at Nethermoor.

Ironically, either side could have nicked it right at the end – Jake Lawlor missing badly for the Lions 4 minutes from time and then Danny Hollands almost winning it for the Spitfires in the final minute but for a decent save from Joe Green.

It also finished 0-0 between Torquay United and Wrexham down on the Devon coast.

Torquay performed well in parts but neither side created many clearcut opportunities.

For more news, reaction and action from across the National League, like us on [url=http://www.facebook.com/TheNationalLge/]Facebook[/url] and follow us on [url=http://twitter.com/thenationallge]Twitter[/url] and [url=http://www.instagram.com/thenationallge/]Instagram[/url]


About Author

Comments are closed.