Pitchero ad

Hereford Crowned Champions – Gosport Hit SEVEN!

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

A massive crowd of 4,556 at Edgar Street saw Hereford FC crowned champions of the Evo-Stik League South Premier on Saturday.

The Bulls had already clinched the title before taking the pitch against third-placed Kettering Town, who needed the points more than the hosts to obtain a preferable top five spot.

And it often happens that in occasions like this, the title-winners can fall a little flat on the day, but not Peter Beadle`s side, who romped to a 4-1 win, thanks to a three-goal burst in 4 minutes, starting with Dara O`Shea`s 12th minute opener and added to by the retiring Rob Purdie and Lance Smith.

Matt Stevens reduced the deficit 4 minutes into the second half, but the Poppies conceded a fourth and a second for Smith in the 68th minute.

Defeat leaves Kettering third, three points behind King`s Lynn Town with a game in hand and only a point separating the others in the top five race.

Lynn could only draw on Saturday at The Walks against mid-table St Neots Town.

In front of 884, Michael Gash broke the deadlock to give the Linnets a 78th minute lead, but Nabil Shariff grabbed an 86th minute equaliser for the Saints.

Fourth-placed Weymouth edged a five-goal thriller at Gaywood Park against fourth-bottom Kings Langley.

Brandon Goodship gave the Terras the lead right on the stroke of half-time.

But Jorell Johnson`s 77th minute equaliser looked as though it was going to be a spoiler for the visitors – until late drama.

Harry Baker came off the bench for the Terras and made an instant impact, laying the ball off for Goodship to net his 37th league goal of the season in the 86th minute.

A minute into stoppage time, Baker finishes this game as a contest with his 19th goal of the season.

But Steve Ward netted a terrific second for Kings 2 minutes later but it was too late to make a difference.

Taking on Terras` rivals Slough Town in the top five battle were Dorset neighbours Dorchester Town.

But they failed to do them a favour as a goal 6 minutes from time from Perry Coles saw the Rebels travel back to Berkshire with the points and, as Kettering and Slough have a game in hand on Weymouth, they are looking the more likely to finish higher.

Who goes down, however, is still open after Gosport Borough`s remarkable 7-0 win against mid-table Frome Town sent Dunstable Town back to the bottom on goal difference, despite them picking up a point from a 0-0 Creasey Park draw with third-bottom St Ives Town.

Gosport took an 8th minute lead when Ryan Pennery`s cross was headed home by Ben Wright.

Ten minutes later, Wright returned the favour, crossing for Pennery to head home.

Wright then set up Pennery twice more to put Boro 4-0 up at the break and a first half hat-trick.

Wright added to his tally on the 69th minute and Gosport’s first win of the year and only the third of the season was wrapped up with another three goals from Wright securing his hat-trick and lifting Boro faithful hearts.

Their fate will probably be decided when they meet Dunstable at Privett Park on Thursday.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Royston Town`s first season at Premier level has been a terrific success, despite missing out on the play-offs.

If someone had told manager Steve Castle that his team would finish in the top eight at the start of the season, I am sure he would have been delighted, and a 4-0 win at Garden Walk against Biggleswade Town leaves the Crows sixth, three points above Tiverton Town and six of Chesham United with two games remaining.

Lee Chappell and Adam Marriott scored within a minute of each other in the 17th and 18th minutes and then Marriott`s penalty on 63 minutes killed the game off, with Michael Baulk adding a fourth 12 minutes from time.

Tiverton lost 3-2 at Redditch United, whose Stuart Fleetwood gave them an early 2nd minute lead.

Jared Lewington equalised just 5 minutes later but Adam Page bagged a brace in the 19th and 73rd minutes, sandwiching a 67th minute Tom Bath reply, to win it for the Reds.

Chesham also lost, 2-0 at the Rushmoor Community Stadium against Farnborough, for whom Michael Elias-Fernandes after 42 minutes and then a Matt Campbell-Mhlope second in stoppage time were on the mark.

A Robbie Burns goal 2 minutes into stoppage time at the end of the game won the game for Hitchin Town at Top Field against Hertfordshire rivals Bishop`s Stortford, while a strike just a minute or so earlier from Kaine Macauley gave Basingstoke Town a similar outcome at Stratford Town.

Banbury United and Merthyr Town shared a six-goal thriller at the Spencer Stadium.

Ian Traylor`s 39th minute penalty gave the Martyrs` first half supremacy, only for Leam Howards to level within 5 minutes of the second half kicking-off.

Howards` second gave the Puritans the lead after 69 minutes and Owain Jones levelled 5 minutes later.

Parity lasted barely a minute though as Elliot Sandy made it 3-2 to the hosts, but a second for Jones in stoppage time earned the Welsh side a point.


About Author

Comments are closed.