Pitchero ad

Magpies Confirm Play-Off Spot – Pilgrims To Miss Out

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Chorley secured their place in the Vanarama National League North play-offs on Wednesday night after beating third-placed Brackley Town 2-1 at St James`s Park.

The home side, who had already assured themselves of third place last weekend, took the lead after 18 minutes from the penalty spot after a foul by Matt Lowe on Matt Challoner and the reliable James Armson duly converted the spot-kick to give the Buildbase FA Trophy finalists the advantage.

However, Matt Jansen`s side were back on level terms within 8 minutes when Adam Blakeman provided the assist for Marcus Carver to beat Danny Lewis in the home goal.

What turned out to be the winner for the Lancastrians came just 5 minutes after half-time when Challoner`s cross was fired home by Dale Whitham.

Boston United saw their play-off hopes all-but ended after being held to a 1-1 draw by Nuneaton Town.

In front of a sparse crowd at Alfreton Town’s Impact Arena – the game being switched there due to ongoing power problems at Liberty Way – United fell behind to James Ferry’s 21st minute opener.

United upped the ante after the break and levelled when Ryan Johnson turned home Ashley Hemmings’ low cross from the left past his own keeper Ross Etheridge, but, despite second half pressure, the Pilgrims could not score again and now need a mathematical miracle to reach the top seven.

Wednesday`s other game saw Southport end their miserable run of seven successive defeats which had taken Kevin Davies` side back towards trouble at the foot of the table, with a 4-2 win at Blackwell Meadows against mid-table Darlington.

Despite a crowd of 1,019, the Quakers seemed to have an end-of-season air about their play, despite taking an 18th minute lead through Josh Gillies.

Ross Hannah took the teams into the break all-square with a 34th minute equaliser.

Dion Charles then took Port ahead just past the hour-mark and added his second and the visitors` third in the 79th minute, with Clive Smith making it 4-1 in the 86th minutes, although sub Harvey Saunders swiftly netted the home side`s second to make the final score 4-2.


About Author

Comments are closed.