Pitchero ad

Midweek Cup Round-Up……

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There were a variety of cup matches played this week throughout the non-League Pyramid.

Monday night saw busy Billericay Town, who also had to play a Bostik League Premier match last night (see separate report), host Bostik South promotion-chasers Corinthian-Casuals in the semi-final of the Velocity Trophy at New Lodge.

And in front of a decent crowd of 442, Glenn Tamplin`s side triumphed 3-1 to have at least one final to look forward to.

But they had to come back from being a 22nd minute Gabriel Odunaike goal down to win.

Their newest recruit, Liam Hughes, equalised right on the stroke of half-time and 10 minutes into the second half, Billy Bricknell took `Ricay into the lead.

Two minutes later, half-time sub Adam Cunnington made it 3-1, which is how the scoreline remained.

Monday also saw Evo-Stik League South Premier side Hitchin Town progress into the final of the BIGFREEBET.COM Cup after a penalty shoot-out win over Evo-Stik South East visitors Hayes & Yeading United.

Manny Duku had broken the deadlock to give Hayes & Yeading a 58th minute lead.

But Dan Webb equalised 10 minutes later.

The score remained 1-1 at full-time and the Canaries went through 4-2 on penalties.

Their opponents are yet to be determined, but it won`t be league rivals Frome Town, who suffered a shock 1-0 home defeat by Evo-Stik South West neighbours Larkhall Athletic last night.

Alex Lambert scored the only goal in the 70th minute to send the Larks into a semi-final against league rivals Didcot Town.

The Evo-Stik Northern Premier League`s Integro Cup has a way to go yet and this week saw several second and third round ties take place.

In three all-Premier ties on Tuesday night, Nathan Waterson bagged a brace to see Workington AFC through at Borough Park against Marine AFC, whose reply came from Dominic Reid.

Lancaster City caused a minor `upset` by winning 2-0 at Cantilever Park against Warrington Town, courtesy of a Ryan Winder penalty after 67 minutes and a second from Richard Mercer 15 minutes from time.

They were both second round ties, while Mickleover Sports overcame Witton Albion on penalties after a 3-3 third round thriller in Derbyshire.

James Foley gave Albion a 35th minute lead that ex-Derby and Burton Albion man Pablo Mills cancelled out 9 minutes after the break.

Steven Tames restored the visitors` lead on 79 minutes, only for Louis Briscoe to level just 2 minutes later.

But Tames added his second and Witton`s third just 3 minutes after that, only for Mills to grab his second and take the tie into penalties in the 86th minute.

Sports held their nerve to triumph 4-3 in the shoot-out.

There were a variety of games played in county cup competitions this week.

An entertaining game in front of a decent crowd of 348 saw a young side from Premier League Stoke City go through in the Staffordshire Senior Cup at Harrison Park against Evo-Stik League South Leek Town to visit Hednesford Town in the semi-finals.

The Potters led 1-0 at the break through Shola Ayoola, only for Rob Stevenson to level within 3 minutes of the second half getting underway.

Jordan Greenidge restored Stoke`s lead after 76 minutes, but again Leek responded quickly through Joe Kearns.

But goals in the final 7 minutes from Lasse Sorensen and Ryan Hill took City through.

Trafford needed penalties to make the final of the Manchester Premier Cup at the Butcher`s Arms against Evo-Stik League North rivals Droylsden,

The teams had shared a 2-2 draw in 90 minutes with Aaron Burns giving Trafford the lead after 35 minutes which Callum Bagshaw cancelled out 4 minutes later.

Sefton Gonzales` penalty 14 minutes from time gave the Bloods the lead, but Altrincham loanee Sean Miller took the game to spot-kicks with an 80th minute equaliser.

Trafford won the shoot-out 3-1.

They`ll be no Derbyshire Senior Cup final for Evo-Stik League Premier side Buxton as they were beaten 1-0 by SkyBet League Two visitors Chesterfield.

Spireites captain Charlie Wakefield scored the only goal of the game, as ten-man Chesterfield went through to the final.

Wakefield followed up goalkeeper Jan Budtz’s clearance with a fine first-time effort in the 51st minute to seal the tie, before striker Levi Amantchi was sent-off for an off the ball incident 20 minutes later.

Hallmark Security League Premier Division outfit Charnock Richard’s hopes of a first ever appearance in the Partners Foundation Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy final were dashed in heart-breaking fashion by Evo-Stik League North side Clitheroe in a semi-final penalty shoot-out.

Charnock had their chances in an end-to-end 90 minutes at the County Ground in Leyland, but with neither side able to break the deadlock, the game ended goalless and penalties were needed to decide the winner.

Clitheroe successfully converted all five of their spot-kicks to clinch a place in next month’s final at Bolton Wanderers’ Macron Stadium, where they will play the winners of the other semi-final between Vanarama National League North Chorley and Evo-Stik Premier outfit Lancaster City.

The other cup tie this week saw Evo-Stik League Premier promotion-chasers Shaw Lane AFC take their place in the semi-finals of the Sheffield & Hallam Senior Cup after a comfortable 4-1 win against Sheffield County Senior League minnows North Gawber Colliery.

Although the scoreline was comprehensive enough, the visitors didn`t go down without a fight – literally!

Spencer Harris` penalty and a Damian Reeves brace had the Ducks three-up at the break.

Liam Marsden pulled one back from the spot 5 minutes after the restart, but Alex Byrne made it 4-1 just past the hour-mark for a stronger Shaw Lane side than would probably have been the case had it not been two weeks since they played due to the weather.

The scoreline could have been greater with Byrne and Reeves both hitting the woodwork in the second half, either side of the fourth goal but then the game went awry.

Firstly, Kieran Lugsden had to hobble off the pitch reducing the home side to ten-men for the final 6 minutes, but then the referee had a major decision to make.

Following an awful lunge near the dug-outs a crowd of players had words. This resulted in not one, but three red cards!

With the brawl at conclusion, the referee sent-off North Gawber`s Scott Chipchase for the initial tackle and Carl Woodhead for a punch.

After the two red cards and just a yellow to the Ducks` Godwin Abadaki, North Gawber`s Jake Senior was then sent for an early shower for abusive language.

Shaw Lane await to see if they’ll play either Swallownest or Frickley Athletic in the semi-final.


About Author

Comments are closed.