Pitchero ad

Ray Simpson`s Midweek Northern League Round-Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Ebac Northern League Second Division side Northallerton Town pulled off a surprise in the Brooks Mileson Northern League Cup when they beat First Division Ashington in a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday night.

They took the lead on 20 minutes through Aaron Ramsbottom from a free-kick, then Nicky Martin made it 2-0 from a Liam Jarvie pass just before half-time.

But Ashington’s Callum Johnston pulled one back on the hour-mark at the second attempt, and then with 9 minutes left, Ben Harmison fired the equaliser.

However, Northallerton keeper Tom Dawson saved Ashington’s fifth penalty, and Martin put his side into the next round for a 5-4 win on penalties.

West Auckland Town lost 3-1 at home to Consett, who took the lead with a strike by Jack Elliott after 42 minutes, and went further ahead with a Michael Sweet header.

West pulled a goal back through Nathan Fisher, but David Dowson pounced on a mistake to put Consett 3-1 up.

Newton Aycliffe easily beat Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 5-0.

Recent signing Nathan Stephenson put Aycliffe into the lead from a Jack Oliver pass midway through the first half, then Stuart Banks got the second on the hour-mark.

Jack Oliver fired the third on 75 minutes, and Kurt Matthews and Banks added further goals in the last 4 minutes.

Durham City beat Team Northumbria 3-2 at Hall Lane.

City went 2-0 up with two goals in the first 9 minutes by Brad Hird, but Team North pulled a goal back through Josh Bynoe.

Hird completed his hat-trick with 5 minutes left, with a Durham defender putting through his own goal for a late consolation.

Wednesday night`s only game saw Morpeth Town move to the top of the First Division table following an exciting 3-2 home win over Marske United.

Joe Walton’s goal of the season contender stole the show.

Adam Wheatley headed the opener on the stroke of half-time before Liam Henderson’s wonder-strike on 54 minutes.

Keith Graydon’s rasping drive put Town ahead on 79 minutes before Craig Gott restored parity with a brilliant 40-yard effort.

Goal of the season contenders weren’t done there as Walton sent Craik Park wild with a fantastic goal 4 minutes from time.


About Author

Comments are closed.