Pitchero ad

Salford Almost There

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

On a busy and important Tuesday night of action in the Vanarama National League North, the title race turned significantly in Salford City`s favour after the Ammies won at Southport and second-placed Harrogate Town were beaten at Boston United.

Salford have maintained their form superbly and are now eleven games unbeaten and have won five on the spin – the last three without conceding a goal.

And they moved six points clear at the top of the table, thanks to a 67th minute goal from Tom Walker, who volleyed home a cross from sub Richie Allen.

Victory means the Ammies need just one point from their remaining two games to be confirmed as champions.

The first of those games is at the Peninsula Stadium against Boston, who did them a massive favour by inflicting a first defeat in six away matches on second-placed Harrogate at the Jakemans Stadium.

The Pilgrims were indebted to George Willis` early 4th minute penalty save to deny Joe Leesley.

After Harrogate squandered that early spot-kick, two goals in 6 minutes from Jake Beesley on 29 and Reece Thompson on 35 minutes gave Craig Elliott`s side a 2-0 lead.

And Boston struck again in the 84th minute on the counter-attack through Kabongo Tshimanga to seal victory.

Kidderminster Harriers, who are assured of a top seven spot, and Spennymoor Town, who are hoping to clinch a place themselves, shared a 1-1 draw at the Brewery Field.

Frenchman Elton Ngwatala hit a screamer from 30 yards to open the scoring for Harriers 12 minutes into the second half.

But a penalty conceded by Ryan Croasdale was converted by Glen Taylor to level things up for the Moors with 17 minutes remaining.

Spennymoor are two points ahead of eighth-placed Bradford Park Avenue, who maintained their chance of sneaking into the play-offs with a 1-0 win at third-placed Brackley Town, for whom this was a second successive defeat.

The Buildbase FA Trophy finalists saw their unbeaten home record disappear last weekend and suffered a second successive defeat at St James`s Park when Ryan Toulson`s goal 10 minutes from time settled this game in Avenue`s favour.

The teams in fifth and sixth respectively, Stockport County and Chorley, met at the Chorley Group Victory Park Stadium and a 1-1 outcome sealed County`s place in the play-offs.

Chorley still have work to do, however, despite taking a 27th minute lead through Scott Leather.

Scott Duxbury`s 71st minute header ensured a top seven spot for the Hatters.

It`s been a miserable April for York City and a fourth successive defeat – a third 1-0 defeat – leaves their play-off bid hanging by a very thin thread.

However, for FC United of Manchester, their victory at Broadhurst Park, courtesy of a Connor McCarthy goal just past the hour-mark, sealed their place in the league for another season.

Gainsborough Trinity gave themselves a fighting chance of joining FC United when they moved to third-bottom, two points behind Leamington who possess a game in hand, after a 1-0 win at already-relegated North Ferriby United.

Ashley Worsfold`s penalty after he had been fouled in the box on the half-hour mark proved decisive.

AFC Telford United moved to virtual safety after an excellent 1-0 win at Croft Park against out-of-form Blyth Spartans.

Spartans had already beaten the Bucks in both league and Trophy this season, but a goal from Marus Dinanga on 28 minutes gave the visitors a massive win.


About Author

Comments are closed.