Pitchero ad

Salford Go Eight Points Clear

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Salford City moved eight points clear at the top of the Vanarama National League North table on Saturday following an, in the end, comfortable 3-0 win against fourth-bottom AFC Telford United at the Peninsula Stadium.

The first half was end-to-end game but few chances were created.

But on the hour-mark, the Ammies broke the deadlock when an unfortunate own goal by the Bucks` new signing, Ryan Leak, put them ahead.

Then on 71 minutes, a composed finish from Jack Redshaw doubled the home side`s lead.

And then 2 minutes into stoppage time, defender Michael Nottingham sealed Salford’s win by getting the third goal.

York City moved back into the play-off positions following a 2-1 victory over eighth-placed Bradford Park Avenue at Bootham Crescent.

Jon Parkin opened the scoring 4 minutes before half-time – his 25th goal of the season to date.

Then an effort from sub Amari Morgan-Smith made it 2-0 on 65 minutes, and they were able to claim a fourth straight victory, despite Adam Boyes’ stoppage time reply and saw the hosts leap-frog their visitors into the top seven.

Chorley moved into ninth, a point behind Avenue and two of seventh-placed Kidderminster Harriers after winning 2-0 at the Tameside Stadium against mid-table Curzon Ashton.

After going four games without a win, Chorley’s opening goal came in the 13th minute when Josh Wilson jumped to meet Adam Blakeman’s corner to head in for a deserved lead.

And the Magpies eventually doubled their lead on 76 minutes when a short throw-in from Matt Challoner to Nick Haughton saw the midfielder dribble past three Curzon players and fire into the bottom corner for 2-0.

It may have been a reduced fixture list due to the Buildbase FA Trophy, but there were some crucial games at the bottom end of the table on Saturday.

Gainsborough Trinity are second-bottom, two points behind the safety-mark, after losing 1-0 at the Northolme to fellow strugglers Nuneaton Town.

Nuneaton made it back-to-back wins for the first time in the league this season, thanks to a 17th goal from loanee Jordan Nicholson, who converted James Ferry’s ball across goal for his 12th goal of the season to date.

Darlington are just a point and a place above Trinity after sharing a 1-1 draw with another side currently in the relegation dog-fight, Alfreton Town, at the Impact Arena.

The Quakers took the lead after just 5 minutes when a defender slipped under pressure from Reece Styche, who ran into the box and coolly fired across the keeper into the net.

But in the 87th minute, there was an altercation in the Darlington box, visiting keeper James Talbot tangled with Tom Allan and was sent-off.

From the resulting penalty, Brendon Daniels beat defender Gary Brown from the spot.

However, 5 minutes into stoppage time, Alfreton went down to ten-men themselves when new loan signing Pierce Bird was shown a second yellow card.

Southport were another side to earn a vital three points as they beat another side in the bottom end of the table, Leamington, 2-0 at the Merseyrail Community Stadium to move above the Brakes into sixteenth spot.

Port got off to a great start when they took the lead after just 7 minutes when Jack Sampson swept home after David Morgan’s pass from an Adam Dawson cut-back.

And Kevin Davies` side made sure the points stayed at home with a second 20 minutes from time.

Jason Gilchrist applied the finishing touch to an Adam Dawson pass on the counter-attack.


About Author

Comments are closed.