Pitchero ad

Silkmen Regain Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Macclesfield Town returned to the top of the Vanarama National League ahead of the busy Easter period after a hard-fought 1-0 win against mid-table Gateshead at the Moss Rose on Tuesday night.

The Silkmen lost top spot top Sutton United last weekend, and it looked as though they were heading towards dropping two home points as Gateshead, still suffering a hangover from their Buildbase FA Trophy Semi-Final defeat, held firm.

Macclesfield`s Tyrone Marsh had an effort cleared off the line, while Danny Johnson went close with an overhead kick at the other end.

A draw looked likely as some fans headed for the exits, but with a minute of normal time remaining, Nathan Blissett popped up with a header to win it for the Silkmen.

Dover Athletic`s four-match unbeaten run was ended by another side in mid-table, Eastleigh, and Chris Kinnear`s side remain five points clear of eighth-placed AFC Fylde in the race for the top seven.

It was the Whites, however, who had the lead after 22 minutes.

Giancarlo Gallifuoco was the architect as he set-up Ryan Bird to score his 14th league goal of the season past Graham Stack.

It wasn`t until 6 minutes from time that Eastleigh fashioned an equaliser when Paul McCallum slotted the ball through the legs of Mitch Walker after good work from the industrious Sam Matthews.

And Andy Hessenthaler`s side won it in the final minute when Mark Yeates crossed for McCallum to score his second.

Bromley`s hopes of an FA Trophy and play-off `double` took a blow as they suffered a 2-1 defeat at Victoria Park against a Hartlepool United side who desperately needed the points for totally different reasons.

If Neil Smith`s side win their games in hand, they can still have a say in the top seven race, but it was Pools who won this one to move five points clear of the drop zone.

Hartlepool United stretched the gap to the bottom four to five points with yet another vital win in their bid to avoid the National League drop.

Josh Hawkes, making his full debut for the hosts, opened the scoring with a 25-yard effort after 10 minutes.

In first half injury-time, Bromley equalised when Josh Rees beat Scott Loach following a corner.

But Pools regained the lead after 64 minutes when sub Devante Rodney set up Michael Woods to hammer the ball past David Gregory.


About Author

Comments are closed.