Pitchero ad

It’s Shaymen v Magpies In National North Finale

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

The Vanarama National League North play-off final next Saturday will be between FC Halifax Town and Chorley following today`s semi-final second legs.

FC Halifax beat Salford City on penalties after a second 1-1 draw between the teams.

In front of a crowd of 3,655 at The Shay, as in the first leg, there was little to choose between the sides, who finished just three points apart in the regular season.

But when it came to penalties, it was no contest as Salford missed all three of their spot-kicks, and Matty Brown, fittingly after his plethora of injuries, scored the winning spot-kick to send The Shay into convulsions of joy.

In a thrilling second leg, it ended 0-0 after 90 minutes, but the drama was still to come.

Just 6 minutes into extra-time, Richard Peniket gave the Shaymen Town the breakthrough with a powerful header into the far corner.

But Salford fought back and, just 2 minutes into the second period of overtime, they pulled level in the game and the tie when Michael Nottingham headed in Dave Norris’ cross at the far post.

Jay Lynch produced two brilliant saves to stop Peniket and Tom Denton headers and it was to penalties to decide who went through to next weekend`s final.

And Salford suffered a bout of nerves in the shoot-out, missing three to see the Shaymen through 3-0.

Kidderminster Harriers entered the second leg of their semi-final against Chorley in confident mood, having won the away leg 1-0 last Wednesday.

The Magpies had only qualified in sixth place due to Darlington 1883 being unable to take part in the play-offs.

But if the majority in the 3,407 crowd thought it was job done, they were in for a massive shock as Matt Jansen`s side triumphed 2-0 at Aggborough to go through 2-1 on aggregate.

Harriers` first leg lead was wiped out after 19 minutes when a ball over the top caught the home side out and Marcus Carver nipped to net past Sam Hornby.

Adam Blakeman almost doubled Chorley`s lead seconds later, but his free-kick from 18 yards crashed against the bar.

Harriers` young side came out in determined mood in the second period and
Dominated without managing to find the killer pass.

James McQuilkin hit the bar after 70 minutes before Ryan Croasdale saw an effort cleared off the line by Matt Challoner shortly afterwards.

But with extra-time looming, Harriers` fans and players were stunned when the Magpies hit them 2 minutes into stoppage time with a ball over the top for Adam Roscoe, who fired past the on-rushing Hornby.

There was barely time to restart and Chorley celebrated a very good victory.


About Author

Comments are closed.