Pitchero ad

Imps Return to Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Lincoln City returned to the top of the Vanarama National League table on New Year`s Day after a dramatic 3-1 win over a Guiseley AFC side who ended the game with just nine-men.

City, who were beaten by the Lions on Boxing Day, trailed 1-0 to Sam Habergham’s 12th minute own goal at the break.

The Imps drew level 11 minutes into the second half when Alan Power converted a penalty.

Guiseley striker Adam Boyes was the first to see red after a second bookable offence 10 minutes from time.

Lincoln then pressed for a second goal which finally arrived 2 minutes from time through Sean Raggett.

The visitors then had Danny Lowe dismissed, also for a second yellow card, and manager Adam Lockwood followed, being sent to the stands by the referee for disputing the decision.

City then added a third when Nathan Arnold scored the third goal in the 90th minute.

Lincoln returned to the top of the table above Tranmere Rovers, who were beaten 4-2 at the Moss Roase by a Macclesfield Town side who are now eighth.

The visitors led through defender Steve McNulty`s 10th minute effort.

But less than 2 minutes later, Paul Lewis pulled the Silkmen back on level terms.

The crowd of 3,317 saw Ritchie Sutton restore Rovers` lead 9 minutes before half-time.

Lewis equalised with his second of the game 5 minutes after the break and then Danny Rowe put Macc in front for the first time in the game with 19 minutes remaining.

And Lewis started 2017 in style when he completed his hat-trick with an 82nd minute penalty to make the final score 4-2.

Third-placed Forest Green Rovers were involved in the most remarkable matches of the season at the New Lawn against Torquay United.

The sides shared ten goals in an amazing 5-5 draw which must have had both managers tearing their hair out!

A see-saw encounter saw Keanu Marsh-Brown give the home side an early 4th minute lead.

But a brace from Dan Sparkes on 15 and 21 minutes, both set-up by David Fitzpatrick, took the Gulls into the lead.

Marsh-Brown equalised on the half-hour mark, only for Aman Verma to restore Torquay`s lead 5 minutes before the break, with Fitzpatrick again the provider.

It was his cross that led to Forest Green`s Ethan Pinnock putting the ball into his own net to make it 4-2 in the 50th minute, but Christian Doidge reduced the arrears to one just past the hour-mark.

Fitzpatrick grabbed Torquay`s fifth himself on 66 minutes.

But Rovers completed a comeback from two-goals down with Doidge on 83 minutes and an own goal from keeper Brendan Moore 5 minutes later, and could have won it deep into stoppage time with Doidge hitting the crossbar and Shamir Mullings forcing a fine save from Moore.

The outcome left many in the 2,383 to wondering if they`d paid to watch a festive pantomime instead!

Aldershot Town are seventh after edging out struggling Woking 2-1 late on at Kingfield.

And once again, it was former striker Scott Rendell who came back to bite the Cards, having hit a hat-trick in the 4-0 Boxing Day defeat.

Rendell, who moved to the EBB Stadium from Woking in the close season, broke the deadlock in front of 3,224 fans when he headed in Anthony Straker`s cross in the 63rd minute.

But less than 2 minutes later Woking pulled themselves back on level terms with Max Kretzschmar’s lob over `keeper Jake Cole.

However, The Shots won it a minute into stoppage time when Rendell helped the ball on in the area and Jake Gallagher bundled it in at the far post.

Chester FC suffered a hangover as they slumped to a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Solihull Moors.

The Blues were disappointing throughout and fell behind to a 17th minute Jamey Osbourne effort after Liam Daly`s initial header had come back off a post.

It was skipper Daly who eventually doubled Moors` lead 10 minutes into the second half following a free-kick.

And they completed victory – and a holiday `double` over the Blues – 12 minutes from time when Luke George was adjudged to have handled Shepherd Murumbedzi`s shot.

Sutton United moved to within three points and a place of Bromley in mid-table following a 2-0 Gander Green Lane victory.

It had been a fairly even opening half, although Sutton had the better opportunities.

And they took the lead in the 4th minute of first half injury-time when a perfectly placed free-kick was swung into the Bromley box and headed home by Max Biamou.

Sutton came out the brightest at the start of the second half and they extended their lead just past the hour-mark.

Bromley failed to clear a corner and from the resulting scramble, Bradley Hudson-Odoi, who had come on as a 17th minute substitute, fired the ball into the back of net.

Bromley continued to be limited to half chances by the home side, Adam Cunnington coming closest with a looping header that dropped over the bar.

Southport pulled themselves three points clear of the drop zone when they avenged their Boxing Day defeat at the Racecourse Ground by winning a five-goal thriller against Wrexham at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

Wrexham took an early 6th minute lead when Jordan White scored his first goal of the season.

Liam Nolan equalised after 36 minutes when the visitors failed to clear a corner.

And then right on half-time, new loan signing from Everton, Delial Brewster, gave Port the lead from a Nolan pass.

Wrexham levelled again on 66 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Ryan Higgins brought down Gerry McDonough, and John Rooney duly converted.

But Southport were not to be denied and Nolan grabbed an 88th minute winner.

York City took their dreadful form of the last twelve months straight into the New Year when losing 1-0 at Bootham Crescent to fellow strugglers North Ferriby United.

In front of York`s biggest crowd of the season to date – 3,182 – it was, ironically, a former Minsterman who scored what proved to be the only goal of the game after 28 minutes.

Striker Reece Thompson was the man to notch the all-important goal to avenge the Boxing Day defeat leave his former club bottom, three points behind the Villagers and five behind fifth-bottom Maidstone United.


About Author

Comments are closed.