Pitchero ad

Leaders Have Their Wings Clipped

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

AFC Fylde still head the Vanarama National League North table by six points, despite suffering a second defeat in four matches on Saturday at the Tameside Stadium against lowly Curzon Ashton.

It started well enough for the Coasters as they took the lead after 10 minutes when Brendon Daniels curled a cracking effort past Curzon `keeper Hakan Burton.

The on 38 minutes, the home side equalised when a fine move was finished off by Niall Cummins from close range.

And then 3 minutes later, Matty Warburton, who has only recently returned to the club, slotted past visiting keeper Rhys Taylor to give Curzon the lead.

Fylde pulled back on level terms after 68 minutes with a long-range Danny Rowe effort over Burton.

But Curzon weren`t to be denied and 11 minutes from time, Ryan Hall capitalised on a short back pass and slotted the winner past Taylor.

Second-placed Kidderminster Harriers met old rivals AFC Telford United at Aggborough, and with the away side having won only once on their travels going into this game, and Harriers being traditionally strong at home, the statistics were certainly not in the Bucks` favour.

Telford were indebted to keeper James Montgomery for several fine saves, mostly from long-range efforts as it looked as though the struggling visitors were going to hang on for a more-than-useful point.

But the majority in the 1,752 crowd were rewarded with a winning goal less than 5 minutes from time when Darryl Knights tapped in from close range after the Bucks had failed to clear their lines.

Chorley are third, level on points with Kidderminster, after beating bottom-markers Altrincham 2-0 at Victory Park.

The Magpies went in front after 13 minutes when Jack Sampson, making his debut on loan from Macclesfield Town, headed home following a corner.

The lead was doubled in the 26th minute when Jake Cottrell headed in from 12 yards.

Alty improved after the break, and although they had much more of the attacking play, they were unable to conjure up a goal.

Fourth-placed Darlington 1883 trailed seventh-placed hosts Stockport County three times but equalised on each occasion to earn a 3-3 draw in a thriller in front of a terrific crowd of 3,649 at Edgeley Park.

New Stockport signing, Elliot Osborne, crossed for Danny Lloyd to head Stockport in front after 23 minutes.

The Quakers equalised on 33 minutes when Mark Beck was fouled 25 yards out and Josh Gillies’ free-kick somehow eluded everyone and went straight in.

But Stockport restored their lead when Darlington keeper Peter Jameson dropped the ball into his own net after a Lloyd corner.

Jameson played a huge part in Darlington`s leveller a minute before the break when he made a great save from Lloyd and from the breakaway, Stephen Thompson scored.

Stockport re-took the lead in this see-saw encounter after 76 minutes, substitute Jimmy Ball blasting home a loose ball after a corner was not dealt with by the Quakers` defence.

Yet another Darlington equaliser though, this time Beck heading home at close-range after a precise Terry Galbraith cross.

But the home side almost snatched victory in the 4th minute of stoppage time when Ball`s effort hit the underside of the crossbar and the ball bounced on the line and was then hoofed to safety!

FC Halifax Town also produced a stirring comeback as they beat Salford City 4-2 at The Shay to swap placed with the Ammies and back into the top five.

The Shaymen trailed 2-0 at half-time, thanks to a Sam Walker penalty after just 6 minutes and a goal from Mike Phenix on 24 minutes.

But home side roared back after the break, with debutant Daniel Nti reducing the deficit to one 10 minutes into the second period and then substitute Liam King equalising 2 minutes later.

Matty Kosylo made it 3-2 from the penalty spot in the 71st minute and recent signing Adam Morgan maintained his good scoring form since joining with number four just 3 minutes later to end Salford`s nine-game unbeaten run in the league.

Brackley Town are still in top five contention after picking up a point from a 2-2 draw at in-form Nuneaton Town.

Nuneaton came into the game protecting an eight-game winning run.

And goals from Jordan Nicholson after 18 minutes and new signing Greg Mills on 27 minutes looked like they were heading for a ninth straight victory.

But Lee Ndlovu reduced the arrears after 73 minutes and then 3 minutes from time, ensured the spoils were shared with his second, although Alex Gudger was also claiming it.

Harrogate Town are a point and a place behind Brackley in tenth, but they too had to settle for a point from a 2-2 draw at the team immediately below them in the table, FC United of Manchester.

In front of a crowd of 2,367, Tom Platt headed Harrogate into the lead after just 3 minutes.

But the advantage lasted only until the 26th minute when Jason Gilchrist equalised.

New signing Kuda Muskwe made it 2-1 to the visitors on his debut just 2 minutes after the break.

However, FC United responded again as George Thomson fired home with 15 to play.

Third-bottom Bradford Park Avenue went down to a 2-0 defeat at the Horsfall Stadium to Boston United

Jay Rollins opened the scoring after 33 minutes with his 10th goal of the season to date.

Kalern Thomas made sure the points went back to Lincolnshire with a second goal 16 minutes from time.

Four other teams in the bottom end of the table did battle against each other on Saturday.

At The Impact Arena, fifth-bottom Alfreton Town and sixteenth-placed Worcester City shared a goalless draw.

However, the Reds missed the best chance of earning all three points when Craig Westcarr`s second half penalty was saved by City keeper Ethan Ross, who had conceded it.

Late on, City`s Cieron Keane picked up a second yellow card and was sent-off.

And at the Northolme, fourth-bottom Gainsborough Trinity hosted second-bottom Stalybridge Celtic, with the hosts grabbing a late leveller to earn a 2-2 draw.

The teams swapped early goals, with Trinity taking a 5th minute advantage when James Reid curled a free-kick into the back of the net from the edge of the box.

Three minutes later, Celtic were level when Kieran Dunbar met a cross with a clever clip into the far corner.

That was it until the 74th minute when the visitors took the lead through Fraser Horsfall from a corner.

But 5 minutes from time, Ashley Worsfold poked home his 10th goal of the season to level matters and earn a precious point.


About Author

Comments are closed.