Pitchero ad

Magpies Long Unbeaten Run Ends

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Maidenhead United were defeated for the first time in the Vanarama National League South since August 9th

The Magpies were beaten 2-1 at Grosvenor Vale by a Wealdstone side who are now tenth.

However, Alan Devonshire`s side still go into 2017 holding a healthy nine-point lead at the top of the table after second-placed St Albans City were also defeated.

A crowd of 1,100 saw Elliott Benyon give Wealdstone the lead 4 minutes before half-time.

Dave Tarpey pulled the Magpies back on level terms from the penalty spot after 68 minutes, but Elliott Godfrey won it for the Stones with 11 minutes remaining.

St Albans came up against an Oxford City side who are something of a `bogey` team as far as the Saints are concerned.

Oxford`s James Roberts was first to find the net after 7 minutes when he turned home a loose ball.

Jefferson Louis beat James Russell with a strong finish on 15 minutes, and the Hoops’ day got even better on 25 minutes when Scott Davies’ free-kick was headed down to Reece Fleet on the edge of the area to drive in a third.

Far from being deflated, two goals on debut from ex-Reading and Bristol Rovers striker Jamie Cureton in the 27th and 34th minutes brought the Saints right back into the game before half-time.

After the avalanche of goals in the first half, the second was a lot tighter.

But it was the visitors who were next to add to their tally when Louis beat an indecisive offside trap to take the ball on and beat Russell at his near post in the 69th minute.

To make things a little easier for Maidenhead to take their defeat, third-placed Ebbsfleet United also suffered a Boxing Day loss.

In front of a Princes Park crowd of 2,404, all the goals came in the second half as Tom Bonner after 47 minutes and Duane Ofori-Acheamping on 61 minutes put the Darts two ahead.

Anthony Cook pulled one back for the visitors 10 minutes from time, but it was not enough as the Darts moved into fourth spot.

They moved above a now fifth-placed Hampton & Richmond Borough who also lost.

The Beavers were beaten 1-0 at Vauxhall Road to Hemel Hempstead Town.

Jake Robinson scored the only goal after 65 minutes.

Chelmsford City are only a point behind Hampton now after they eased to a comfortable 4-0 win at Melbourne Park to bottom-markers Bishop`s Stortford.

On his 100th appearance for the Clarets, Max Cornhill opened the scoring after 12 minutes when Kane Haysman won a penalty for a shove from Michael Richens. Shaun Jeffers’ poor penalty was saved by Harry Voss with Cornhill on hand to score the rebound.

Last season’s top scorer for Bishop’s Stortford, Elliott Buchanan, grabbed his first goal for the Clarets in his ninth appearance for City after 35 minutes, flicking a Robbie Willmott free kick into the bottom corner to send City in 2-0 up at the break.

Former Stortford boss Rod Stringer saw his side take a 3-0 lead when Robbie Willmott struck home from distance.

Matt Young then got in on the act by scoring his first goal for the club and City’s fourth 15 minutes from time to secure Chelmsford`s first league win since October 15th.

Poole Town maintained their top five challenge and are level on points with Chelmsford in seventh after a 2-0 derby win at Privett Park against troubled Gosport Borough.

Gosport were without five senior players as off-field problems directly affected matters on it.

Steve Devlin gave the visiting Dolphins a 16th minute lead that Richard Gillespie eventually doubled with 19 minutes to go.

Concord Rangers shared a 1-1 draw with ninth-placed East Thurrock United, but dropped down to fourth-bottom after wins for fellow strugglers Weston-super-Mare and Welling United.

Jordan Chiedozie broke the deadlock to give the Beachboys a 78th minute lead.

But just when a crucial three points looked on the cards, Tom Wraight popped up with East Thurrock`s leveller 4 minutes into stoppage time.

Second-bottom Margate are now five points adrift of Concord after they suffered a 3-0 Hartsdown Park defeat to Kent rivals Welling, who moved out of the drop zone as a consequence.

Adam Coombes gave the Wings the boost of a lead from the spot just before half-time.

Christian Nanetti then doubled the visitors` lead on the hour-mark and Coombes` second with 4 minutes remaining rubbed salt into Gate`s wounds.

Welling are now just a point behind seventeenth-placed Whitehawk after they were beaten 4-2 at Priory Lane by mid-table Sussex rivals Eastbourne Borough.

It was the Hawks who opened the scoring through Marvin Hamilton after 32 minutes.

Ryan Worrall quickly cancelled that out 5 minutes later, only for Dan Harding to restore the Hawks` lead 4 minutes into the second half.

But once more, they couldn`t hold on to their lead for long as Mark Hughes equalised 2 minutes later.

Goals from Nathaniel Pinney after 65 minutes and Jamie Taylor near the end, took Boro away from Whitehawk.

Weston are third-bottom after winning 2-1 at Treyew Road against inconsistent Truro City.

Rocky Neal had the White Tigers in front after 35 minutes.

But Bradley Ash levelled in first half injury-time.

And recent signing Gethyn Hill won it for the Seagulls in the 56th minute.

Boxing Day`s other game saw Bath City and Hungerford Town share the spoils at Twerton Park.

Jon Boardman broke the deadlock to give the Crusaders a 68th minute lead.

But the Romans equalised through Andy Watkins with 14 minutes to go.


About Author

Comments are closed.