Pitchero ad

Title Race Tightening Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

It`s getting tight at the top of the Evo-Stik League Premier table after Tuesday night saw Altrincham`s lead cut to just a single point.

The Robins were held to a 1-1 draw at Moss Lane by mid-table Mickleover Sports, while second-placed Warrington Town beat play-off chasers Hednesford Town 4-1 at Cantilever Park.

In front of a crowd of 532, Altrincham started the better side, only to fall behind through an individual error which allowed Jack Walsh to give Mickleover the lead in the 38th minute.

Altrincham laid seige to the visitors’ goal in the second half and finally equalised in the 71st minute when Jake Moult headed home from close range.

Warrington found themselves behind after only 9 minutes to a Danny Glover goal for the Pitmen.

Sean Williams equalised after 37 minutes and 5 minutes later, Devarn Green gave the Wire the lead.

Nine minutes into the second period, Tony Gray made it 3-1 and a second for Williams 9 minutes from time completed a comfortable win for Warrington, leaving Hednesford down in ninth spot, four points behind the top five spots.

Witton Albion though took advantage of fifth-placed Shaw Lane AFC`s defeat at Workington AFC to move level on points with the Ducks.

Workington have endured an inconsistent spell which has seen them drift out of the play-off race, but this win puts them back in with a shout.

Matty Douglas bagged a brace for the Reds on the half-hour mark and then on 69 minutes at Borough Park.

And a goal from Tom Owens 2 minutes from the end of normal time eventually earned Witton all three points at Wincham Park against mid-table Stourbridge.

The evening`s other game saw Stalybridge Celtic achieve a third successive win to move to a virtually safe twelve points clear of bottom side Sutton Coldfield Town.

They won by the odd goal in five at the Weaver Stadium against Nantwich Town, who fell behind to an early 8th minute Matty Wolfenden effort.

Sean Cooke equalised on 25 minutes, only for Connor Hughes to restore Celtic`s lead just before the break.

Matty Bell equalised 7 minutes into the second half, with Wolfenden winning it for Steve Burr`s men in stoppage time.


About Author

Comments are closed.