Pitchero ad

White Tigers Hunt Down The Leading Hawks

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

There were six matches in the Vanarama National League South on Tuesday night, all of which had significance in the battle for promotion and relegation.

League leaders Havant & Waterlooville made the long midweek trek to Cornwall to take on play-off chasing Truro City looking to stretch their lead over Dartford to five points.

But the gap remains just two after the White Tigers produced a well-organised
Performance to complete the `double` over the Hawks with a 1-0 win at Treyew Road.

It was a scrappy first half which unsurprisingly ended goalless.

The White Tigers` Ed Palmer went close to breaking the deadlock in the second half and on 64 minutes, sub Tyler Harvey did get the all-important goal when a cross from Connor Riley-Lowe picked out the head of Harvey, who made no mistake.

The victory made it three successive wins for Truro against fellow top seven sides and lifts them three points clear of eighth-placed Hemel Hempstead Town.

Hampton & Richmond Borough moved level on points with Dartford in third after a 3-1 Beveree win over struggling Hungerford Town, who are now just five points above the drop zone.

The Beavers took a 25th minute lead when Brendan Kiernan was brought down in the box and Max Kretzschmar converted the resulting penalty.

Twelve minutes later, Shaun Jeffers doubled the home side`s lead to make it 2-0 at the break.

The Crusaders reduced the deficit on the hour-mark through recent recruit Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist, but 5 minutes later, Jeffers` second of the game ensured the points stayed at home.

Weston-super-Mare`s hopes of getting into the play-off mix took a big blow as they were beaten 2-0 at the Woodspring Stadium by fourth-placed St Albans City.

After some solid Saints defending, it was they who eventually broke the deadlock with 15 minutes left to play through Jamie Sendles-White.

And they made sure of the points in the last minute of normal time through sub Percy Kiangebeni.

Welling United bounced back from defeat last weekend to return to the top seven after a 3-1 win at Nyewood Lanme against second-bottom Bognor Regis Town, who are almost needing snookers to avoid going straight back down.

A brace from Adam Coombes after 6 and 64 minutes, sandwiched by a goal from Jamie Philpot in the 37th minute gave the Wings the points, with Ibra Sekajja`s 85th minute reply for the Rocks being just a consolation.

Concord Rangers returned to winning ways as they won 2-1 at Hardenhuish Park against fellow strugglers Chippenham Town.

Rangers were looking to bounce back from suffering their fourth consecutive defeat last weekend – a run which has taken them back towards trouble – while the Bluebirds started the evening three points better off than their visitors.

Lewis Taaffe broke the deadlock to give Concord a 51st minute lead.

James Guthrie was shown a straight red card for the hosts just past the hour-mark, and Andy Freeman duly doubled the visitors` advantage on 72 minutes.

Matt Smith notched a consolation goal late on.

The Beachboys are now five points clear of Poole Town, who occupy the final relegation place but picked up a useful point from a 2-2 draw at mid-table East Thurrock United.

Reece Harris gave the Rocks an early 6th minute lead that Sam Higgins doubled after 32 minutes.

Battling Poole pulled a goal back 4 minutes into the second half through Marvin Brooks, who then blotted his copy book by being dismissed in the last minute of normal time.

Stoppage time though saw the ten-men pull back on level terms through James Constable, who it appeared was shown a red card after the final whistle.


About Author

Comments are closed.