Pitchero ad

Tuesday’s Friendly Action Reviewed…..

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Vanarama National League newcomers Maidenhead United finally got their hands on the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup on Tuesday night after an entertaining 1-0 win over National League South side Hungerford Town at Slough Town.

The Magpies, promoted as champions of Hungerford`s division at the end of last season, survived a late pressure from the Crusaders to pick up a welcome early trophy.

Christian Smith’s 20th minute strike in the end proved the difference, the midfielder tucking the ball home after a fumble from Hungerford `keeper Lewis Ward.

In the final minutes Hungerford laid siege to Maidenhead’s goal without success but they very nearly levelled when James Comley’s back-header bounced off the bar and away to safety.

A couple of goalmouth scrambles later, one which saw Remy Clerima hack the ball off the line, and Maidenhead were celebrating a league and cup `double`.

Tranmere Rovers enjoyed a fine 3-1 Prenton Park victory over League One side Fleetwood Town.

Two goals from James Norwood and a deflected effort from Adam Buxton sealed the win, with a Jack Sowerby free-kick in the second half giving the Cod Army something to take back home with them.

Macclesfield Town also produced a fine performance to beat League Two neighbours Crewe Alexandra 3-0 at Moss Rose.

It was Crewe’s first defeat in pre-season and there hadn’t been that much between the two sides until the referee penalised Perry Ng for an infringement just after the hour-mark.

The penalty was tucked home by Danny Whitaker and a header from one of the Silkmen’s summer triallists proved the difference on the night.

Ryan Lloyd completed the scoring in the final minute.

National League new boys Leyton Orient recorded their first stalemate of the close season as Bostik League North side AFC Hornchurch held on for a goalless draw at Bridge Road.

Another league newcomer, promoted AFC Fylde, beat League One neighbours Morecambe 2-1 at Mill Farm.

The Shrimps found themselves a goal down after 9 minutes.

Veteran full back Nicky Hunt, on trial with the Coasters, found prolific striker Danny Rowe and he made no mistake with a cool finish to beat Dan Nizic.

The home side scored a second on 57 minutes when James Hardy swung over a corner and Mitchell Lund headed into his own net past Nizic.

The Shrimps pulled one back on 67 minutes as Rhys Turner headed home a cross.

Ebbsfleet United, who were also promoted, beat Bostik Premier side Hendon 3-2 at the Silver Jubilee Stadium.

The opening goal fell to the Greens through Niko Muir in the 16th minute.

Fleet equalised in the 55th minute through Danny Kedwell, and further goals from Danny McQueen and Danny Mills looked to have made the game safe, but Lewis Davis made the last couple of minutes interesting with a second for the hosts.

Wrexham returned to winning ways with a decent performance at a useful-looking Altrincham side, re-building in the Evo-Stik League Premier after two successive relegations.

In the end, efforts from Marcus Kelly, a shot after a long run before break, and Chris Holroyd’s flicked header in the second half, gave the visitors the result.

Eastleigh overcame Premier League AFC Bournemouth`s under-23 side 3-0 at the Silverlake Stadium.

The hosts took the lead on 34 minutes, slightly gainst the run of play, when an in-swinging corner wasn’t dealt with by the visiting defence, and with the ball bobbling seven yards from goal Ayo Obileye fired home.

Eastleigh then struck twice in the second half to put the game beyond the young Cherries.

Chris Zebroski crossed for Paul McCallum to head home from close range, before a ball into the box was well kept out by substitute ‘keeper Callum Stanton only for Zebroski to tuck home the rebound.

Woking produced an encouraging performance in holding League Two side Cambridge United to a goalless draw at Kingfield.

There was not much to choose between the sides for the most part and, with a bit more sharpness up front, the Cards might well have registered a win.

But he will have been pleased with a solid display defensively.

Two goals apiece from newly-arrived loanee Raul Correia and John Rooney gave Guiseley AFC a 4-1 win in their penultimate pre-season friendly against Toolstation Northern Counties East League side Handsworth Paramore at Worksop Town.

Aaron Moxam replied for the Parras.

Dover Athletic enjoyed a 5-0 win over National League South outfit Welling United at Crabble.

Jamie Allen scored twice and Femi Ilesamni also grabbed his first goal for the club, with Ryan Bird and Mitch Pinnock also on the scoresheet as boss Chris Kinnear’s side registered their third win in four days.

Dover`s Kent neighbours Maidstone United beat Southern Counties East Leaguers Sevenoaks Town 4-0.

Recent recruits Jai Reason with two and Harley Willard and Joe Pigott with the goals.

Barrow AFC earned a 2-1 win at the Giant Ace against Evo-Stik Premier newcomers Lancaster City.

The Bluebirds hit the Dolly Blues with two quick goals around the 20-minute mark from David Fitzpatrick and Harry Panayiotou.

Charlie Bailey halved the deficit on the hour-mark.

A Torquay United XI shared a 1-1 draw at South West Peninsula League side Plymouth Parkway.

Ethan Phillips gave the hosts a first half lead they held until just 2 minutes from time when Josh Gowling netted the Gulls` reply.

National League North club Boston United netted three goals after half-time to seal a 3-0 win over Evo-Stik Premier side Coalville Town.

Versatile Mason Warren opened the scoring on 55 minutes ahead of his impending loan move from Rotherham United.

Substitutes Karl Hawley and Ashley Hemmings then struck within the final 3 minutes to add gloss to the Pilgrims’ lead.

FC United of Manchester edged a seven-goal encounter at Evo-Stik Premier neighbours Ashton United.

The Reds` goals came from Nathan Lowe, Lewis Lacy, Connor McCarthy and Jason Gilchrist, with Yaw Gyimah with two and Liam Tomsett on target for the hosts.

Chorley were beaten 3-0 at Victory Park by League One newcomers Blackpool.

Mark Cullen bagged a brace and Danny Philliskirk netted the other for the Seasiders.

National League North new boys Blyth Spartans fought back from two goals down against Ebac Northern League First Division neighbours Morpeth Town in this pre-season friendly, but succumbed to a late winner from former Spartan Ben Sayer.

Morpeth struck within 29 seconds through Sayer, before substitute Joe Walton doubled up on 36 minutes.

Jarrett Rivers turned home a poor back pass on 72 minutes to drag Blyth, before Jordan Laidler tapped in to restore parity 10 minutes later.

Sayer had the last word, however, with a long-range strike that went in off the upright.

Spennymoor Town, who came up with Blyth, had more luck in beating Northern League opposition in Dunston UTS.

The Moors ran out 2-0 winners with goals from David Dowson and Glen Taylor in either half.

Harrogate Town recorded their most emphatic win of pre-season so far as Evo-Stik North neighbours Ossett Albion were beaten 6-1 at The CNG Stadium.

After falling behind to James Eyles early goal, first half strikes from a triallist and Marcus Day put the hosts ahead at the break.

An Ethan Walshaw own goal and Bailey Gooda header inside the opening 5 minutes of the second half ensured Harrogate would come out on top, before another Gooda header and Dominic Knowles close range finish added to the scoreline.

Relegated Southport earned a first win in five friendly attempts lower league opposition in Evo-Stik North outfit Burscough.

Having failed to find the target at Marine AFC on Saturday, this friendly against Burscough looked to be following a similarly frustrating pattern until Brad Jackson earned victory for Alan Lewer’s team midway through the second half.

Stockport County shared a goalless draw with a side from League One Bolton Wanderers made up of a mix of triallists, youth and senior professionals.

York City’s handed out a 9-0 drubbing of ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties Leaguers Oakham United.

The Minstermen’s four-day training camp in the area clearly paid dividends as Gary Mills’ men raced into a 5-0 half-time lead with goals from Kaine Felix, a Michael Rankine brace, including a spot-kick, Josh Law and Connor Smith.

The goal spree continued in the second period with Simon Heslop making it six before Law added another free-kick before the hour-mark.

Jon Parkin joined the fun, off the bench, netting with 15 minutes remaining, and there was still time for fellow substitute Alex Whittle to get in on the act 3 minutes from time.

Gainsborough Trinity came up against a full-strength League Two Mansfield Town outfit at the Northolme and went down to a 4-0 defeat.

Former Solihull Borough man Omari Sterling-James was impressive for the Stags, bagging two of the goals.

Salford City were beaten 2-1 at Moor Lane by League One neighbours Bury.

The Ammies took the lead a couple of minutes after the break through Mike Phenix.

Zeli Ismail equalised 6 minutes later and the same player bagged the winner 11 minutes from time.

Nuneaton Town made the short trip over the A5 to play Midland Leaguers Hinckley AFC and recorded a 4-2 win.

A header from Reece Styche midway through the first half saw Tamworth win 1-0 at Keys Park against Evo-Stik Premier outfit Hednesford Town.

Goals from Steve Howson and Jordan Butterworth sealed Curzon Ashton`s 2-1 win at Evo-Stik Premier neighbours Trafford.

Wealdstone drew a disappointing line under the 2016/17 season after a 1-0 defeat away to National League South rivals Hampton & Richmond Borough in the Middlesex Senior Cup final.

The only goal of the game came from a combination of two of Hampton’s summer recruits, with Taurean Roberts crossing for Max Kretzschmar to glance a header over Jonathan North just before half-time.

The Stones were without several players, including two new recruits that were cup-tied.

Despite the game being moved to pre-season, following last season’s controversial player ineligibility issues by Hampton, the game was anything but a ‘friendly’ with Charlie Wassmer sent-off for the hosts for an off the ball incident. But the Stones failed to make the extra man pay.

Poole Town produced an excellent performance to beat League Two Exeter City 2-0 at Tatnam.

The Dolphins took the lead with their first attack of the game as a long ball downfield found Luke Roberts, whose nice ball split the City defence and found Luke Burbridge, who ran through on goal and finished neatly past James Hamon.

And they eventually wrapped up the win in the last-minute Poole when Ollie Palmer volleyed a loose ball home from the edge of the box.

A hat-trick from Jordan Cox saw Concord Rangers condemn Bostik North hosts and fellow islanders Canvey Island to a 3-0 at The Frost Financial Stadium.

National League South returnees Havant & Waterlooville edged out Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) outfit Horndean by the odd goal in seven at Five Heads Park.

Portsmouth`s Theo Widdrington, who the Hawks are keen to sign on loan, made a big impact for the Hawks, creating the 20th minute opener for Jason Prior before scoring a thunderbolt himself 7 minutes before half-time.

James Hayter and Matty Tubbs also found the net for the visitors, with Harry Jackson`s brace and Sam Hookey replying for Dean.

Oxford City made it two successive pre-season victories as they overcame a strong Armed Forces XI 2-0 at Marsh Lane.

The Hoops started well and were awarded a spot-kick after just 2 minutes as some great weaving from Horatio Hirst saw him fouled just inside the box.

Matt Paterson stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to open his goalscoring account for the club.

The lead was doubled on the hour-mark, a short corner routine found its way back to David Pearce, whose cross was flicked on by Guri Demuria to Christian Navarro who confidently headed home.

The Hoops were awarded a second penalty on 77 minutes, Hirst again involved as his cross towards Forde saw the latter fouled in his attempt to play the ball.

Paterson again stepped up, however the ‘keeper this time guessed correctly to keep the score 2-0.

Gloucester City, switched to the National League South, were 4-2 winners

Ethan Moore, George Forsyth, Will Morford and a Zack Kotwica penalty for the Tigers, Nathan Payne and Danny Twyman for Slimbridge at Thornhill Park against Evo-Stik South West side Slimbridge.

Braintree Town, relegated from the National League, were beaten 3-1 at Cressing Road by League Two Barnet.

The game marked a return for former Braintree winger Simeon Akinola, who was sold to the Bees last January.

Barnet scored twice before the break and once after to open a three-goal lead, but Ben Wyatt headed home almost on the final whistle to give the home fans a consolation goal to cheer.

Chelmsford City won 1-0 at the ProKit (UK) Stadium against former rivals and now Evo-Stik League South Premier outfit Bishop`s Stortford.

The only goal of the game came in the 57th minute when two substitutes linked with Johnny Giles slipping the ball to Michael West who found the far top corner from the edge of the area

Gethyn Hill salvaged a 1-1 draw for Weston-super-Mare at Evo-Stik South West side Cinderford Town, whose Declan Morley-Lyne levelled.

St Albans City made the relatively short trip to Bostik Premier Harlow Town and recorded a 2-1 win.

Kieran Monlouis after 11 minutes and Sam Merson 3 minutes later gave the Saints a 2-0 lead.

Reece Dobson pulled one back on 25 minutes.


About Author

Comments are closed.