Pitchero ad

Coasters Win Top of the Table Clash

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

AFC Fylde maintained their four-point lead at the top of the Vanarama National League North table on Saturday after a 2-1 win against top five rivals Harrogate Town at Mill Farm.

A crowd of 1,935 saw the visitors grab a deserved lead on the stroke of half-time when Tom Platt headed in Joe Leesley’s free-kick.

The Coasters pulled back on level terms in the 62nd minute when a tame Sam Finley shot trickled through the arms of Peter Crook and over the line.

Four minutes later James Hardy turned the game on its head, springing the offside trap before rounding Crook and sliding into an empty net.

Harrogate couldn`t find a way back into the match and fell fifth spot in the table.

Darlington 1883 are second and it was an afternoon to forget for visiting Worcester City, who fell to their heaviest defeat of the season.

The first goal came in the 19th minute through Gary Brown, who rose highest at the corner and the ball flew past Ryan Boot in to the back of the net.

The second came 7 minutes later as Mark Beck rose the highest this time, with his low header being just too strong for Boot to keep out.

Just before the break it was almost deja-vu as Beck once again got his head to the ball, powering it past Boot, giving the Quakers a three-goal lead at half-time.

The second half started much the same as the second. Darlington won a corner and City failed to clear. The recycled ball fell to Beck and the Darlington striker smashed the ball low to complete his hat-trick on 47 minutes.

Substitute David Syers then headed Darlington’s fifth from a cross from the right.

City managed to grab a consolation through Ebby Nelson-Addy 19 minutes from time.

Third-placed Chorley fell to a 1-0 Victory Park defeat to a Stockport County side who are now ninth and just three points off a top five spot.

Top scorer Danny Lloyd bagged the only goal of the game in the 72nd minute to stretch County`s winning run to four matches.

It was also Stockport`s first win against the Magpies since the 19th Century!

Boston United suffered a miserable afternoon as they went down 2-0 at home to fourth-placed FC Halifax Town.

Tom Denton and former loan Pigrim Alex Simmons both struck braces to settle a good away performance by Billy Heath`s side.

Denton`s goals came in the 18th and 87th minutes, with Lincoln City loanee Simmons sandwiching them in the 46th and 79th.

Jay Rollins reduced the arrears after 71 minutes, but in the end it was the Shaymen who stretched their run to six straight victories.

FC United of Manchester caused an upset by winning 2-0 at sixth-placed Kidderminster Harriers.

The Reds were second best for the majority of the game. However, they scored two priceless goals – one in each half – to take all three points.

They took a 22nd minute lead courtesy of an own goal and then Luke Ashworth headed the second on 63 minutes.

Gloucester City are now seventh after edging out bottom-markers Bradford Park Avenue at Whaddon Road.

It was a hard-fought victory against an improved Avenue side.

What turned out to be the only goal of the game came after just 7 minutes when Joe Hanks whipped a low effort towards goal, although Ed Williams claimed he got the final touch as the ball flew past Avenue`s new keeper Jon Worsnop.

Brackley Town show no signs of blowing up and are a place below but level on points with Gloucester after winning 2-0 at St James`s Park against lowly Curzon Ashton.

It was goalless at the break, but just shy of the hour-mark, defender Luke Graham popped up with the Saints` opener.

Four minutes from time Glenn Walker made sure the points remained in Northamptonshire with number two.

Tamworth moved level on points with tenth-placed Salford City after grabbing a 2-1 win at Moor Lane.

The visitors were ahead on 13 minutes as Ross Dyer headed home a Louis Briscoe cross.

The home side levelled on 65 minutes through Simon Grand.

But Dyer gave Tamworth all three points by heading home Danny Newton’s cross on 69 minutes.

Stalybridge Celtic remain second-bottom after losing a best-of-five-goal game at Bower Fold against Alfreton Town.

The visiting Reds led 2-0 at the break, courtesy of goals from Craig Westcarr after 17 minutes and Sam Smith a minute before the whistle.

Celtic fought back and levelled through Scott Spencer on 53 minutes and then Aiden Chippendale on 65 minutes.

But well-travelled striker Liam Hearn popped up with Alfreton`s winner in stoppage time.

Altrincham remain third-bottom after a poor performance at Moss Lane against mid-table AFC Telford United.

Altrincham were fortunate to go in at half-time just 1-0 behind after the visitors had hit the woodwork three times.

Telford had taken the lead in the 24th minute when, following a throw-in, Conor McCarthy drove his shot past Tim Deasy.

Telford’s second arrived in the 58th minute when Bradley Reid caught Deasy in no-man’s land and lobbed him from outside the box.

Despite pushing men forward, Altrincham made little impact and could not find a response.

Saturday`s other game between Gainsborough Trinity and Nuneaton Town ended all-square at the Northolme.

Aaron Williams gave the visitors a 13th minute lead that Adam Quinn cancelled out just 7 minutes later.

And two evenly-matched teams swapped penalties just before half-time, with David Morgan giving Boro the lead again and then James Reid levelling.

Neither side was able to break through after the interval, so it ended 2-2, leaving Trinity two points in front of Kevin Wilson`s side in seventeenth spot.


About Author

Comments are closed.