Pitchero ad

`El Glosico` Ends All-Square

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

A crowd of 5,449 saw the newly-titled `El Glosico` between Vanarama National League leaders Cheltenham Town and second-placed Forest Green Rovers finish honours` even on Saturday for the second time this season.

Cheltenham remain a point in front of their neighbours following a 1-1 draw at the World of Smile Stadium.

The game back in September at the New Lawn ended 2-2, and just as in that game, it was the Robins who drew first blood after a goalless opening half.

Seven minutes into the second half, Rovers` experienced midfielder Darren Carter was booked for a foul on Harry Pell 20 yards from goal.

And Pell punished the visitors with a fine right-footed free-kick past Steve Arnold.

But 20 minutes from time Carter got on the end of a Parkin flick to equalise from close range.

Both sides had opportunities to win the game, but both left without significant damage done to their respective title hopes.

Grimsby Town leap-frogged Eastleigh into third place in the table after a crucial 1-0 win at the Silverlake Stadium.

There were few chances of note in the first half, but the Mariners were able to make their dominance count on the half-hour mark when Padraig Amond slotted home from a difficult angle.

It was Amond’s 17th of the season, and it came after good link-up play with on-loan Alex Jones.

Eastleigh had earlier struck the crossbar when Grimsby`s Conor Townsend deflected a cross towards his own target.

But with the top two sharing the spoils, this win takes the Mariners to within five points of the leaders.

Dover Athletic got themselves back on track and into fourth place in the table after a 3-1 win at Crabble against Barrow AFC, who finished the game with ten-men.

The Whites took an 11th minute lead when Ricky Modeste converted a Nicky Deverdics pass from 12 yards out.

And they doubled that lead in the 19th minute when Deverdics this time provided the assist for Richard Orlu to fire past Joel Dixon from the edge of the area for his first goal of the season.

Ricky Miller’s powerful left-foot effort on 35 minutes to make it 3-0 was the pick of the goals as he fired home from 20 yards.

Barrow were reduced to ten-men in the 69th minute when Niall Cowperthwaite was shown a straight red card for a bad foul on Sam Magri.

But Dover failed to make any further in-roads into the Barrow defence, and indeed it was the Bluebirds who scored the only goal of the second period on 77 minutes when Andy Cook picked up a long clearance by Dixon to shoot home from the edge of the box.

Lincoln City moved into the play-off spots with two goals from Luke Waterfall helping his side to a 3-1 win away at Torquay United.

Luke Waterfall opened the scoring after 15 minutes when Greg Tempest` corner saw Waterfall out-jump his marker to head the ball into the back of the net.

Liam Hearn doubled the lead on 25 minutes when City goalkeeper Paul Farman cleared the ball up field to the head of Matt Rhead. The tall forward flicked the ball on to Hearn, who turned his marker and then slotted home.

Torquay came back into the game at the start of the second half but weren`t able to create much and as City started to get back in control of the game they went further ahead on 73 minutes.

A mix-up between goalkeeper Dan Lavercombe and his defence saw the ball spilled in the box, and Waterfall was on hand to stab the ball home to make it 3-0.

However, a minute later Torquay pulled themselves back into the game. The hosts countered and Daniel Butler was free on the left-hand side of the box to slot the ball past Farman.

However, the Imps stood firm to see out the game to move up to the top five for the first time this season.

Wrexham made it four successive league wins as they beat ten-man Aldershot Town 1-0 at The Recreation Ground.

There was little between the sides in an even first half, with both teams having a couple of half chances to show for their efforts.

Aldershot were threatening a goal in the second half but it was Wrexham who took the lead in the 62nd minute.

Wes York’s header from Rob Evans’ cross was brilliantly palmed away by Shots` keeper Phil Smith but Wrexham won the ball back and Dominic Vose’s shot was turned home by York.

Aldershot found themselves down to ten-men after 72 minutes when Jake Gallagher was shown a second yellow card following a late challenge on Jamal Fyfield.

Macclesfield Town are three points adrift of the top five after Paul Lewis and Kristian Dennis scored in a 2-0 win against Bromley to make it three successive wins for the Silkmen.

Paul Lewis broke the deadlock 4 minutes into the second half for Macc from close range from Chris Holroyd’s cut-back.

The Silkmen were awarded a penalty after Ben Chorley handballed but Bromley`s on-loan keeper Chris Kettings saved Kristian Dennis’ spot-kick.

Ade Moses hit the post from 20 yards for the visitors before Dennis made amends 10 minutes from time as he side-footed in from 12 yards to seal the victory.

Tranmere Rovers came back from a goal down to win 2-1 against Guiseley AFC at Prenton Park.

The visitors took the lead on 24 minutes when a ball forward was half cleared to Danny Boshell who`s sweetly struck shot found the bottom corner of the net.

Tranmere drew level on the stroke of half-time when Adam Mekki’s corner was headed home at the near post by James Norwood.

And then in the final minute of injury-time at the end of the match, the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on Norwood by Liam Dickinson and the striker picked himself up and blasted home the spot-kick.

Chester FC suffered a miserable home defeat against Woking, who hadn’t won in six games prior to their visit to the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium.

Dan Holman gave the visiting Cards a 15th minute lead when he fired home from six yards.

And then in the 90th minute John Goodard earned the visitors a 2-0 lead, despite Chester having earlier twice hit the woodwork.

Six minutes into stoppage time Ross Hannah netted a Craig Hobson cross but it was too late to have an effect on the outcome.

Result of the day, however, was at the International Stadium where ten-man FC Halifax Town recorded only their third league win of the season with a stunning 4-1 victory against Gateshead.

In an action-packed opening 45 minutes, Shaymen `keeper Russell Griffiths was sent-off with Town in-front thanks to a 22nd minute Martin Smith own-goal on his debut after signing on loan from Sunderland yesterday.

Ryan Bowman equalised from the resulting penalty after Griffiths’ dismissal in the 38th minute

But Halifax raced into a precious half-time lead through Kingsley James on 40 minutes and then Shaun Tuton in the 44th minute.

Then on 79 minutes, Tuton scored his fourth in two games and Halifax’s fourth of the afternoon to leave the hosts stunned.

Altrincham moved eight points clear of the drop zone with a 1-0 win at Moss Lane against Boreham Wood, who are now just a place and two points above the drop zone.

However, it was the visitors dominated the first half, as Charlie MacDonald and Luke Howell both hit the woodwork.

Altrincham eventually took the lead in the 75th minute with their only shot on target, when Nicky Clee powered in Michael Rankine’s cross.

Wood continued to push for an equaliser, but they were unable to find a way past Altrincham `keeper Tim Deasy.

Managerless teams are often dangerous opponents as Welling United found to their cost on Saturday as they suffered a 1-0 Park View Road defeat to struggling Southport.

Paul Carden lost his job after last weekend`s 4-0 drubbing by leaders Cheltenham Town.

However, with new boss Dino Maamria watching, Southport moved closer to the safety-mark after a 74th minute goal from Michael Phenix earned the visitors a vital 1-0 away victory.


About Author

Comments are closed.