Pitchero ad

Forest Green Win – Daggers Held

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Forest Green Rovers returned to the top of the Vanarama National League table on Saturday after they comfortably beat second-bottom Guiseley AFC, whilst overnight leaders Dagenham & Redbridge were held to a 1-1 draw by Macclesfield Town.

Experienced midfielder Darren Carter gave Forest Green the lead at the New Lawn after 20 minutes.

The struggling Lions held the high-flying hosts to that single goal lead until half-time.

But just 2 minutes into the second period, Christian Doidge doubled the home side`s lead.

And then just before the hour-mark, a Jake Lawlor own goal settled the proceedings in the home side`s favour.

The Daggers were looking to maintain their run which has seen one defeat in seven as they hosted the Silkmen at Victoria Road.

And they started well enough, taking an 18th minute lead through Fejiri Okenabirhie.

It stayed that way until the break, and the visitors battled hard to get back into the contest in the second period without producing the killer blow.

At the other end, though, Dagenham were unable to add to their tally and paid the price in the last minute of normal time when Chris Holroyd popped up with the Silkmen`s equaliser.

The point sees Macc in sixth place.

Third-placed Lincoln City were also held to a frustrating home draw by Eastleigh at Sincil Bank.

In a disappointing game between two sides expected to feature in the ptomotion mix come the end of the season, the Imps came closest to claiming all three points, with Nathan Arnold almost breaking the deadlock for the home side.

However, Eastleigh almost snatched a winner late on but Luke Waterfall saved the day with a goalline clearance.

But the game ended 0-0.

Tranmere Rovers are fourth and now level on points with Lincoln and Barrow AFC after a comprehensive 3-0 win at the Automated Technology Group Stadium against Solihull Moors.

Micky Mellon`s side took a 17th minute lead through Jake Kirby – a lead they held on to until the break.

Solihull tried hard to get back on level terms as the second half progressed but were undone 9 minutes from time when Kirby struck his and Tranmere`s second goal.

And the visitors added salt into the wound by making it 3-0 seconds from time, courtesy of substitute James Norwood.

Barrow made it eleven games unbeaten but were held to a 1-1 draw at Kingfield by a Woking wide desperate for points at the other end of the table.

The visiting Bluebirds took a 20th minute lead through striker Byron Harrison.

But they found a determined Cards side hard to break down any more and it came as little surprise when Garry Hill`s side equalised 6 minutes into the second half through a Matt Tubbs penalty.

Aldershot Town will be somewhat disappointed to have only come away from Plainmoor with one point from a goalless draw.

The Shots dominated the game, especially in the second half.

And the visitors` Matt McClure nearly won it with 2 minutes left but his ferocious effort bounced off the inside of the post and away to safety.

There may have been no goals on the English Riviera, but there were seven on the Kent coast – and Dover Athletic got six of them as they battered bottom four outfit Braintree Town at Crabble.

Dover had to be kick-started into the game though as they fell behind to a 12th minute Sam Matthews goal.

But that was as good as it got for Hakan Hayrettin`s side as top socrer Ricky Miller struck a 12-minute hat-trick in the 22nd, 26th and 33rd minutes.

Five minute before the break, Jack Parkinson made it a nap hand for the Whites.

Miller eventually hit a fourth goal after 48 minutes, taking him to 14 for the season to date, and the only surprise was that there were no further goals in the final 42 minutes.

Boreham Wood moved into eleventh place in the table, within striking distance of the top five, after a hard-fought 1-0 Meadow Park win over struggling North Ferriby United.

The Villagers put in a battling performance but it was not enough to prevent another narrow defeat.

The only goal of the game came 2 minutes into the second half from winger Anthony Jeffrey.

The defeat leaves Ferriby in the bottom four.

It’s four defeats in a row for Ferriby`s fellow newcomers Maidstone United after they lost 2-0 at the Gallagher Stadium to Gateshead, who are ninth.

Danny Johnson bagged a brace for the Tynesiders.

He opened the scoring right on the stroke of half-time.

And his killer second goal came with 20 minutes to go to hand the visitors a victory that rarely looked in doubt.

Gary Mills` first game back in charge of York City saw the Minstermen held to a 1-1 draw at Bootham Crescent by in-form Chester FC.

Matt Fry broke the deadlock to give Mills` side the lead in the 70th minute with a header.

And that looked like it was going to earn the home side a vital win.

But Kane Richards, introduced as a second half substitute, and produced a headed equaliser 2 minutes into stoppage time from a Ryan Lloyd cross.

The draw maintained Jon McCarthy`s side`s good run, making it eight games without defeat now.

Wrexham registered their first win since the departure of Mills to York as they beat Bromley 2-1 at the Racecourse.

It was also the first victory under the interim management team and was crucial, coming immediately after their hugely disappointing Emirates FA Cup replay defeat to lower league Stamford AFC in midweek.

Wrexham took the lead a minute before half-time when Rob Evans’ cross was headed down by Mark Carrington for Shaun Harrad to fire past keeper Alan Julian.

Bromley equalised in the 57th minute when Blair Turgott fired past Shwan Jalal but Wrexham grabbed the winner 10 minutes from time when Gerry McDonagh fired past Julian.

Southport moved off the bottom of the table after sharing a 1-1 draw with Sutton United at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

It was the home side who led at the break, thanks to Andrai Jones, who fired a loose ball into the roof of the net.

The second half saw Sutton awarded two penalties.

The first was in the 54th minute when Ross Stearn was brought down in the box, only for Magnus Norman to save Nicky Bailey`s effort from twelve yards.

But just 3 minutes later, the referee was pointing to the spot again, this time for handball, and this time Jamie Collins took the responsibility and beat Norman.

Steve Burr`s side though would have won the game had it not been for some heroic keeping by the U`s Ross Worner.


About Author

Comments are closed.