Pitchero ad

Leiston Increase Their Advantage

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Leiston increased their lead at the top of the Ryman League Premier Division table to four points on Tuesday night after they enjoyed an eighth league victory, but they were made to fight for all three points against Suffolk rivals AFC Sudbury.

After a goalless first half the Blues took the lead from a cross-cum-shot from Patrick Brothers on 52 minutes.

Nine minutes later a stinging drive from Christy Finch doubled the lead.

Leiston were almost punished for failing to extend their advantage when James Baker pulled a goal back on 78 minutes and then the visitors laid siege to the home goal but the leaders held firm to secure all the points.

They increased their advantage due to Tonbridge Angels suffering a second successive defeat.

Angels went the opening eight games without defeat, but their 5-3 loss at Moatside against Merstham made it back-to-back defeats.

Tonbridge`s early season strong defence appears to have vanished as nine goals have been conceded in the last three games.

In-form Merstham fell behind to an 11th minute Damien Scannell effort, but by the time Luke Allen scored Angels` second in the 52nd minute, the Moatsiders were 3-1 up, thanks to Tutu Henriques on the half-hour mark, Charlie Penny 2 minutes later and Dan Bennett 4 minutes after the break.

Penny grabbed his second of the game to make it 4-2 just past the hour-mark and Omar Folkes made it a nap hand for the hosts 2 minutes from time, rendering a tremendous strike from Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson as just a consolation.

Havant & Waterlooville, relegated from the Vanarama National League South at the end of last season, took over second spot from Tonbridge after edging out promoted Worthing 3-2 at Westleigh Park.

A crowd of 606 saw the Hawks forced to come back from 2-0 down to win.

Omar Bugiel after just 8 minutes and Lloyd Dawes in the 32nd minute had the Rebels in command.

Two minutes after what was probably an `interesting` half-time team talk, Jason Prior reduced the arrears and George Barker brought Lee Bradbury`s side back on level terms on the hour-mark.

Worthing went down to ten-men in stoppage time when Corey Heath was shown a second yellow card, and the Hawks punished the visitors by winning it seconds later through Lee Molyneaux.

Bognor Regis Town are fourth but had to be content with a point from a 1-1 Sussex derby draw with Burgess Hill Town at Nyewood Lane.

The Hillians led through Lee Harding`s early 2nd minute opener right until 4 minutes from the end of the game when Dylan Barnett grabbed a Rocks equaliser.

Billericay Town made it seven consecutive wins all in September with a hard fought win over promoted Folkestone Invicta at New Lodge.

Greg Cundle`s 18th minute goal eventually proved enough for Craig Edwards` side.

Needham Market dropped out of the top five after they suffered only their second defeat of the season and the first since the end of August.

The Marketmen were on the wrong end of a 5-1 drubbing at the Arena by Harlow Town, who are now eighth.

Fabion Simms gave the Hawks a 13th minute lead that Mario Noto added to on 33 minutes.

Joey Benjamin made it 3-0 a couple of minutes before the break, but Darryl Coakley kept the visitors in the match when he pulled one back right on the stroke of half-time.

But quickfire goals from Layne Eadie and Alex Read shortly after the break took the Hawks out of the Marketmen`s reach.

Metropolitan Police remain bottom after going down to a 1-0 defeat at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium to Enfield Town.

Town, who hit six against Hendon last weekend, scored only one from Samir Bihmoutine in the 76th minute, but it proved enough.

Hendon halved the number of goals they conceded on Tuesday, but still lost 3-1 at Canvey Island.

Tony Stokes gave the Gulls a 32nd minute lead that Jack Simmons doubled just 4 minutes later.

Casey Maclaren kept the Greens in the game when he pulled one back a minute from half-time, but the only goal of the second half came from the home side`s George Sykes 14 minutes from the end.

A 79th minute winner condemned the Kingstonian to defeat at Wingate & Finchley, the home side coming back to win after Ryan Moss opened the scoring in the 7th minute.

Fred Moncur equalised for the Blues in the 34th minute before the hosts sealed the points in the 79th minute through a Robert Ogleby goal.

Fancied Dulwich Hamlet continue to be inconsistent and followed last Saturday`s hammering of Folkestone Invicta with a 4-1 Champion Hill defeat to a Harrow Borough side who started the evening in the bottom four.

A crowd of 711 saw Boro race into a 2-0 lead by the 16th minute, courtesy of David Taylor and Lewis Driver.

Nyren Clunis reduced the arrears just before the break, but Harrow`s Ibrahaim Meite – on as a first half substitute – bagged a brace in the 59th and 62nd minutes to kill off any hopes of a Dulwich comeback.


About Author

Comments are closed.