Pitchero ad

Luton Increase Unbeaten Run to 16 Games

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Barnet and second-placed Luton Town produced a Boxing Day cracker at The Hive in the later Skrill Premier kick-offs.

The Hatters opened up a 2-0 lead, thanks to goals from Paul Benson after 22 minutes and Alex Lawless on 34 minutes.

The Bees were then reduced to ten-men just before half-time as Jon Nurse was dismissed.

Nurse`s late challenge on Jonathan Smith was worthy of a red card but the referee had booked the winger before changing his decision.

Despite their man disadvantage the Bees dominated the second period and pulled a goal back through Jake Hyde on 69 minutes.

Barnet’s players worked tirelessly in search of an equaliser and they had several chances. But Luton were able to hold out and claim the victory which extends their unbeaten league run to sixteen matches.

A last-gasp Chris Westwood effort earned Alfreton Town victory against one of his former clubs, Wrexham, at the Racecourse Ground.

Mark Carrington gave the Dragons broke the deadlock in the 64th minute, shortly after skipper Neil Ashton had missed a penalty.

Alfreton’s Michael Wylde headed an equaliser 9 minutes later before John Akinde’s powerful effort put Nicky Law`s side in front with 5 minutes remaining.

The home side`s Leon Clowes looked to have rescued a point with an 87th minute equaliser only for Westwood to give the visiting Reds victory in the 5th minute of stoppage time.

Kidderminster Harriers edged their local derby against Hereford United at Aggborough by the odd goal in three.

Michael Gash put Harriers ahead inside 9 minutes direct from a free-kick.

Danny Jackman then rounded off a fine move by Steve Burr`s side when he volleyed in with his left foot from the edge of the area on the half-hour mark.

Josh O’Keefe reduced the deficit from close range following a goalmouth scramble 5 minutes into the second half, but Harriers held on to claim their first win in four league games.

Salisbury City moved into ninth place in the table, five points adrift of the play-off places, after a good 3-1 win at Kingfield against Woking.

After Brett Johnson for the hosts and Ricky Wellard for the Whites had both gone close to opening the scoring inside the first 5 minutes, it was the Cards who took a 14th minute lead through on-loan Jack Marriott, who has been a revelation since joining the club.

He fired home from close range after good work from another loanee, Scott Rendell.

But City levelled in the 17th minute when Clovis Kamdjo`s cross was steered home by Chris McPhee.

Salisbury went ahead in the 26th minute when Wellard converted a Theo Lewis pass.

And victory was confirmed in the 4th minute of time added on at the end when sub Tyler Harvey fired home another Kamdjo cross.

FC Halifax Town had an inspired Matt Glennon to thank for their hard fought point at Gateshead.

The first half only saw only goal, a deflected shot from Matty Pearson hit the back of the net for him to score his first for the club after 26 minutes.

The second half then came and Town were on the back foot instantly with intense Gateshead pressure.

Jamie Chandler then equalised for the hosts on 57 minutes after piece of individual skill from former Sunderland winger John Oster.

The full-time whistle blew and Town trudged off the field after defending for their lives in the second half.

Forest Green Rovers made it a Happy Christmas as they wrapped up a 3-1 victory at the New Lawn against Aldershot Town.

A brace from man-of-the-match Marcus Kelly after 12 and 77 minutes and a goal from top scorer James Norwood in the 90th minute made it an almost perfect day for Adrian Pennock’s side.

The only disappointment was their inability to keep a clean sheet – Jordan Roberts having equalised just before half-time for the visitors.

The Cheshire derby at the Moss Rose saw Macclesfield Town record a comfortable 3-0 win against rock-bottom Hyde FC, who barely had a shot on target worthy of note in the 90-plus minutes.

The opening goal came as early as the 6th minute when Paul Turnbull fired home a direct free-kick.

The Silkmen doubled their advantage in the 29th minute and it was another free-kick, this time Danny Andrew beating Tigers` keeper Lawrence Vigouroux.

Despite almost total domination, the home side weren`t able to add to their tally until 2 minutes from the end of normal time when Chris Holroyd headed home from just inside the six-yard box.

Southport and Chester FC cancelled each other out to share the spoils in a game of few chances at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

Port were off target with first half efforts from Danny Hattersley and Scott Brown as their winless run stretched to eight games.

But home keeper Danny Hurst had to make a double save on the half-hour mark from George Horan’s six-yard header and Jamie Reed’s follow-up to preserve their clean sheet.

Hurst then tipped over a 67th minute 30-yarder from John Rooney.

But, despite the hard-earned point, Chester slipped back into the bottom four, having now gone six games without a win.


About Author

Comments are closed.