Pitchero ad

Marketmen Earn Local Bragging Rights

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Needham Market hold a three-point lead at the top of the Ryman League Premier Division table following Boxing Day`s matches.

The Marketmen won 2-1 at Bloomfields in the derby against AFC Sudbury.

It was Sudbury who took the lead just before half-time when Sam Bantick notched his 12th goal of the season.

Things changed rapidly after the interval with Ryan Henshaw conceding a penalty, knocking over ex-Sudbury man Luke Ingram.

The spot-kick was converted by sub Kem Izzett and a few minutes later Henshaw was sent-off making the visitors` task more difficult.

The home side then scored what proved to be the winner on 50 minutes when Sudbury were certain Billy Holland`s effort had not crossed the goal line.

Visiting manager Jamie Godbold was sent from the dug-outs.

Sudbury keeper Marcus Garnham saved another Izzett penalty later on.

Needham`s lead was stretched due to Bognor Regis Town being held to a 1-1 draw at Nyewood Lane by third-placed Havant & Waterlooville.

In front of a crowd of 1,348, Ryan Woodford gave the Hawks the lead 3 minutes before half-time.

Ed Sanders pulled the Rocks back on level terms just past the hour-mark.

Lowestoft Town moved up to seventh, just a point behind Suffolk neighbours Leiston, after winning the derby 3-2 at Crown Meadow.

Travis Cole gave the Trawlerboys a 23rd minute lead that Niko Muir cancelled out on the half-hour mark.

Ross Jarvis restored the home side`s advantage 5 minutes later, only for Matt Blake to pull the visitors level 9 minutes after the break.

Shaun Bammant popped up with Lowestoft`s winner 10 minutes from time and leave former leaders Leiston win only one win in their last seven league games.

Indeed, had Tonbridge Angels managed to beat Folkestone Invicta at Longmead, Leiston would have dropped out of the top five altogether.

As it was, Angels had to make do with a point from a 2-2 draw with their Kent rivals.

Joe Taylor gave Invicta a 35th minute lead that Alex Akrofi cancelled out just before the break.

Akrofi then put the home side in front just past the hour-mark.

But Ronnie Dolan earned Neil Cugley`s side a share of the spoils with an 83rd minute equaliser.

Enfield Town remain in top five contention, being just two points behind Leiston, after a 3-0 win at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium against Harlow Town.

Mark Kirby broke the deadlock to give Enfield the lead 4 minutes after half-time.

Dernell Wynter added a second just shy of the hour-mark, with Billy Crook adding the icing on the cake with a third 2 minutes into stoppage time.

Kingstonian are also still well in the hunt after their 2-1 Kingsmeadow win over struggling Merstham leaves them just three points adrift of the top five.

Aaron Lamont gave K`s the boost of an early 8th minute lead that Ryan Gondoh doubled just 6 minutes later.

Tom Kavanagh reduced the arrears on the half-hour mark, but the Moatsiders couldn`t find a leveller and are now just a point off the drop zone.

An extraordinary Boxing Day game saw Harrow Borough move out of the bottom four after edging out a now third-bottom Hendon by the odd goal in NINE!

Suffice to say defences weren`t on top at Silver Jubilee Park as Josh Webb gave Boro an early 2nd minute lead that Dave Diedhiou cancelled out 5 minutes later.

Harry Newman restored the visitors lead 4 minutes later, only for Sam Murphy to pull the Greens back on terms from the penalty spot 6 minutes later.

Francis Babalola once again gave Harrow a 31st minute lead they held for less than a minute as Casey Maclaren equalised.

Reis Stanislaus then put Hendon in front for the first time 4 minutes before half-time.

But just 5 minutes after the break, Webb`s second, this time from the spot, made it 4-4.

Sahr Kabba then made it a nap hand for Boro with 17 minutes to go, and perhaps the only surprise is that that was the final goal!

Second-bottom Canvey Island`s poor form continues as a fifth game without a win leaves them four points adrift of the safety-mark.

The Gulls lost 2-1 at The Prospects Stadium to Billericay Town, whose Michael Bakare put them in front after 17 minutes.

Dipo Akinyeme then doubled the visitors lead just past the half-hour mark.

All the home side could muster in response was an 87th Steve Sheehan effort.

Leatherhead moved up to fifteenth in the table after a 2-1 Fetcham Grove win over now fourth-bottom Metropolitan Police.

Mohammed Sagaf broke the deadlock 4 minutes into the second half to give the Tanners the lead.

Dan Summers looked to have earned the Met a point when he equalised from the spot with 9 minutes to go.

However, recent signing Rian Bray won it for Jimmy Bullard`s side in the 87th minute.

Burgess Hill Town are only three points above the drop zone after losing the Sussex derby at Leylands Park against Worthing.

Ross Edwards earned bragging rights when he scored the only goal of the game for the visitors in the 68th minute.

Wingate & Finchley are another side who need points on the board after dropping too close to the bottom four for their liking.

They were held to a 1-1 home draw by mid-table Staines Town and are level on points with Burgess Hill.

Wingate got off to a great start when Tansheh Abrahams put them in front after less than 4 minutes.

Adrian Clifton equalised 7 minutes later, and that`s how the scoreline remained.


About Author

Comments are closed.