Pitchero ad

Moors Take Over Top Spot

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Solihull Moors are back on top of the Vanarama National League North table after Marcus Bignot`s side beat overnight leaders Nuneaton Town 3-1 at the Autotech Stadium on Boxing Day.

In front of a season`s best crowd of 1,242, the visitors bossed the opening 45 minutes without managing to penetrate the home defence.

And they were made to pay in the second half.

The first blow for Boro came on 56 minutes when Elliott Whitehouse was sent-off off for a tackle on former Nuneaton skipper Gaz Dean rated reckless by the referee.

Before Nuneaton could react to the dismissal they were behind as another ex-Boro favourite, Andy Brown, gave Moors the lead with a well taken effort.

It was 2-0 just 2 minutes later when Stefan Moore capitalised on some sloppy defending to slide home the second.

Solihull grabbed a third with 11 minutes remaining, substitute Steve Leslie with a low drive that found the bottom corner of the net from inside the box.

Boro grabbed themselves a consolation goal with time running out, Marlon Harewood converting a penalty after Kabonga Tshimanga was brought down in the box.

Third-placed North Ferriby United lost ground though as they were beaten 2-0 at the Northolme by a now ninth-placed Gainsborough Trinity.

Trinity ensured the points stayed in Lincolnshire, thanks to goals from Nathan Jarman after 51 minutes and Simon Russell just 6 minutes later.

Boston United’s festive programme has got off to the worst possible start as they were beaten 3-0 at struggling Lowestoft Town.

The Pilgrims trailed 2-0 at half-time after an early 4th minute own goal from Mark Jones was followed by a strike from Michael Spillane in the 15th minute.

The Pilgrims were little better in the second period and Jake Reed wrapped up victory for the home side with a third goal 8 minutes after the break.

It was a win that lifted the Trawlerboys to sixteenth in the table, although still only three points above the drop zone.

That defeat for Boston saw Harrogate Town move above them into the top five after a fine 2-1 win at Edgeley Park against fellow promotion contenders Stockport County, who have won only once in the last ten league and cup games.

In front of a super crowd of 3,326, Jerry Yates put Harrogate ahead within the opening 3 minutes after a fine run and cross by Brendon Daniels.

However, County found an equaliser just 9 minutes later when Everton youngster Delial Brewster outpaced the visiting defence and slotted past Peter Crook.

Both sides had chances to go ahead in an end to end first half, with Danny Ellis hitting the bar with a header for Harrogate.

County were presented with a golden opportunity to go ahead when Jonny Margett’s was brought down inside the box, but Crook guessed right to save the striker’s spot-kick.

But it was the visitors who scored the decisive second goal in the 74th minute when sub Jordan finished off a counter attack.

Tamworth also lost ground in their promotion chase after losing 2-1 at The Lamb to mid-table Alfreton Town.

A crowd of 875 saw Sam Smith give the Reds a great start with the opening goal in the 5th minute.

Curtis Strong eventually pulled the Lambs back on level terms after 63 minutes.

But just 6 minutes later Lindon Meikle popped up with what turned out to be Alfreton`s winner.

Former Hednesford Town boss Rob Smith and his assistant Larry Chambers had a miserable first return to Keys Park as bosses of AFC Telford United.

The 2-0 defeat leaves the basement Bucks five points adrift of the safety mark and wins becoming a urgent priority.

A crowd of 962 saw former Telford striker Kyle Perry open the Pitmen`s account 3 minutes before half-time.

And then right on the stroke of the interval, Adam Thomas doubled the home side`s lead.

The only downside for the hosts came near the end when another former Buck, Phil Trainer, who had been outstanding for the Pitmen, was sent-off for his part in a twenty-man maul as tempers became frayed at the end.

Another team doing a neighbour no favours were Worcester City, who moved up to fourteenth in the table after condemning Gloucester City to second-bottom spot following a 1-0 win at the World of Smiles Stadium.

A crowd of 662 saw veteran striker Deon Burton score the only goal of the game with a header just 3 minutes from time.

That came 7 minutes after the Tigers had been reduced to ten-men when Joe Parker saw red after a late tackle on Connor Gater.

Gloucester slipped into second-bottom spot following Corby Town`s vital 2-1 win at fellow strugglers Brackley Town, who are third-bottom.

Greg Mills struck the opener for the visiting Steelmen after 39 minutes.

Brackley were reduced to ten-men when skipper Joe Clarke was sent-off for a high challenge on Sam Downey, but the hosts still found an equaliser just before the break through Sam Smith.

But less than a minute from the end of normal time, Mills grabbed Corby`s winner from the penalty spot.


About Author

Comments are closed.