Pitchero ad

Ramblers Return for Striker

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Burnham Ramblers have announced that former striker Dan Williams has re-joined the Ryman League Division One North club club.

Williams spent time at Essex Senior League side Great Wakering Rovers last season before joining their league rivals Southend Manor.

But boss Keith Wilson has brought the former Rambler back to the club to add some extra firepower to his ranks.

Wilson said: “Dan is a good addition to the club and will certainly add competition for places in attack.

“I know a lot about Dan and he knows a lot about the club so he should fit in very quickly. He is strong, quick and certainly has an eye for goal.

Ramblers have also added Stuart Martin to their ranks – a goalkeeper who will act as cover to first choice shot-stopper Louis Godwin Green.

Meanwhile, after the abandonment of Ramblers’ game against Redbridge on Tuesday night, Wilson says lessons must be learnt by both teams.

In the aftermath of Danny Cossington’s serious injury with 40 seconds remaining, three players were shown red cards, including Ramblers’ Reece Brandon.

A number of serious incidents then took place following the tackle, including the involvement of Redbridge fans.

And although Wilson defended his players by their immediate reaction to the challenge, he admits that punches should not have been thrown.

Wilson said: “The tackle was right in front of me. It was a horrific challenge – or more like a Kung-Fu kick.

“But what happened then should not have taken place on a football field. Both teams were to blame and I have spoken to our players.

“Our lads reacted to the challenge and rightly so as it was one of the worst I’ve seen, and I’m just grateful Cossy isn’t more seriously hurt as it could of ended his career.

“But no punches should have been thrown by either team and for supporters of Redbridge, or more like players` mates of Redbridge, to jump the fence and join in is totally unacceptable.”

Burnham are awaiting a decision from the league as to whether the game will need to be replayed.

Wilson added: “Whether the league will make us replay the game, I’m not totally sure to be honest.

“I did manage to speak to the referee and he did confirm to me that at the time of the tackle we had 40 seconds left to play of injury-time so we will have to wait and see what happens.

Ramblers went two goals in front with Neil Richmond scoring a brace either side of half-time to take his tally to ten goals for the season.

But a fight back from the home side saw the game poised at 2-2 before the referee halted proceedings.

Wilson added: “I thought we started really well and after taking the lead, we played with a decent tempo.

“They tried to hit back and we rode our luck on a couple of occasions when they hit the woodwork but we also had a couple of decent chances.

“In the second-half they hit us hard straight from the break but again we rode that and extended our lead.

“If we’d kept that two goal cushion for 10-15 minutes I think we would have won the game, but they got back into it and in the end both teams then had chances to win it.”


About Author

Comments are closed.