Pitchero ad

Ray Simpson`s Midweek Review….

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Shildon hit the season’s highest score so far when they thrashed a poor South Shields 11-0 in a superb display of…..

….finishing at Dean Street in the Ebac Northern League First Division on Wednesday night.

Shields had an idea of what was coming when Billy Greulich-Smith hit the post early on, then Chris Hughes opened the scoring with a delightful chip on 13 minutes.

Hughes quickly scored another, and after that the goals rained in, and the Railwaymen were 7-0 up before half time. Danny Richmond, Billy Greulich-Smith (2), Richard Flynn and Robbie Briggs all got on the scoresheet with some well-worked goals.

In the second half, Hughes quickly completed his hat-trick and then Briggs scored the goal of the game from 25 yards, with Greulich-Smith pouncing for two more.

Guisborough Town stunned Darlington 1883 4-1 at the King George.

After only 6 minutes Liam McPhillips free-kick from wide on the left was floated into the area where Austin Johnson had evaded his marker to head beyond Jack Norton.

It was not until just before the half-hour mark that Quakers forced even a half chance, but Shaun Reay overran the ball and keeper Ben Escritt collected.

Despite that glimpse of goal, Darlington continued to struggle so it was no surprise when McPhillips added the second.

He collected a ball played from deep, held off Arjun Purewal and fired beyond Norton for a simple goal that owed much to weak defending.

Guisborough managed to add a third from Lee Bythway. At a corner, conceded when Norton had pushed over a shot from halfway by Bytheway, he powerfully headed home in the 71st minute.

And the fourth came in the dying minutes when Johnston tapped into an empty net after being played in by Adam Gell, although there was time for Adam Nicholls to net from the edge of the penalty area after a corner.

Spennymoor Town kept their 100 per cent record when they beat Dunston UTS 2-0 at the Brewery Field to go second.

Gavin Cogdon gave them the lead after 27 minutes from the spot after he was brought down, then he got the second 4 minutes after half time from an Anthony Peacock pass.

Bishop Auckland are up to fourth after they beat Ashington 2-1 at Heritage Park.

Bishops took the lead when an Ashington defender turned a corner by Sonny Andrews into his own net, and before half-time Andrews scored from an Arran Wearmouth cross. Gareth Bainbridge pulled a goal back for Ashington on the hour.

Norton & Stockton Ancients pulled off a good goalless draw at Bedlington Terriers, while Celtic Nation won 3-1 at Billingham Synthonia.

In the Second Division, there was a 10 minute hold up in play during the Esh Winning v Jarrow Roofing game when the referee took both teams off the pitch following a fracas. Esh won the game 2-0.

Darlington RA drew 1-1 with West Allotment Celtic at Brinkburn Road. Liam Hudson gave Allotment the lead, which was cancelled out by Steve Allison for the RA.

Crook Town beat leaders Ryhope CW 3-2 at the Millfield. Craig Price, Kevin Devine and Warren Byrne put Crook 3-0 up, while Ryhope replied with goals by Chris Winn and Martin Metcalfe. Ryhope also had Johnny Butler and Phil hall sent-off.

Horden CW won their first game of the season, beating Washington 2-0 with goals by Martin O’Riordan and Darren Atkinson.

Ryton won the game between the Second Division’s bottom two by winning 4-3 at Stokesley SC, thanks to a burst of three goals in 10 minutes.


About Author

Comments are closed.