Pitchero ad

Ray Simpson`s Midweek Round-Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

West Auckland Town went nine points clear at the top of the Ebac Northern League First Division table with a narrow 2-1…

…home win over West Allotment Celtic on Tuesday night.

Auckland created several chances in the first half-hour, but took only the one that fell to Robbie Briggs on 23 minutes, when the ball was only half cleared to him on the edge of the area, and he volleyed past Allotment keeper Josh Beal.

But Allotment levelled on 42 minutes when a right wing corner was nodded down for Ian Dunn who sweep past stranded keeper Dan Lowson.

Allotment nearly took the lead on 54 minutes when Sean Reid was denied by the crossbar, then Kallum McGlen got through on the right, and Lowson saved at the second attempt.

West regained the lead on 68 minutes when Briggs scored his second of the game, with a header from a left wing cross by Alex Francis, but Allotment almost levelled when McGlen’s first time volley from 35 yards flew just wide with Lowson stranded.

Briggs nearly scored his hat-trick, but his effort went past the post.

Shildon are up to seventh after winning 1-0 at Penrith.

The Railwaymen almost took the lead early in the game, but Ben Wood was denied. However, they took the lead on 28 minutes when a free kick was blocked, and Danny Moore fired home the loose ball.

Penrith were more on top in the second half, but Shildon defended well.

Bishop Auckland lost 2-1 at home to Durham City, who are now sixth. The goals came in the last 13 minutes.

Durham took the lead on 77 minutes when Bishops keeper Scott Pocklington dropped a harmless cross, and Callum Patton, who scored four last Saturday against Shildon, tapped in, but Bishops levelled just two minutes later with a low shot by Kyle Davis.

But the Bishops defence again switched off after 83 minutes when they lost possession, and Patton fired the winner past Pocklington.

Ryton & Crawcrook Albion drew 1-1 with South Shields in the Second Division.

Leigh Shickle put Ryton into the lead, but David Molloy equalised with the last kick of the game.

In the Ernest Armstrong Cup, Washington scored three times in the second half to beat Northallerton Town 4-1.


About Author

Comments are closed.