Pitchero ad

Saturday`s FA Carlsberg Vase Review

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

The FA Carlsberg Vase Third Round was hit by the weather on Saturday with several ties falling foul of waterlogged pitches.

One of those ties that did get the referee`s nod, however, saw Steve Claridge`s fancied Salisbury FC outfit win 5-1 at Uhlsport Hellenic Leaguers Highworth Town.

It was virtually all over by half-time as the Whites led 4-0 with goals from Sam Wilson, Brandon Mundy, Kane O`Keefe and Tom Whelan.

Danny Young added the fifth straight after the break, shortly before Jon Davoile`s consolation for the hosts.

Kidlington won the all-Hellenic League tie at Thame United, thanks to goals from Ryan Brooks and Tom Castle – Ben Gray replying – while Ascot United and Brimscombe & Thrupp will both go into tomorrow`s draw after sharing goalless draws after extra-time against Cherry Red Records Combined Counties Leaguers Camberley Town and Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) side Moneyfields respectively.

Two other Wessex sides face a midweek replay as Tadley Calleva and Newport (IoW) also drew on Saturday.

Another side the FA certainly hope do well are Midland League side Hereford FC and they progressed 2-0 in front of a day`s best crowd of 2,025 at Edgar Street against league rivals Brocton.

The Bulls` on the mark were Mustapha Bundu on the half-hour mark and Joel Edwards 10 minutes from time.

Alvechurch, currently second behind Hereford in the league, also made it into the next round after winning 3-0 at another Midland League rival, Walsall Wood with a brace from new signing Nick Wright and one from Danny Ashton.

ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties Leaguers Leicester Nirvana reached the last 32 for the second season running with a comprehensive 5-1 success in their derby at East Midlands League side St Andrews.

Early goals from Shaquille Brooks and Pearson Mwanyongo gave them a great start before the hosts replied.

Mwanyongo restored the two-goal margin before the interval and Ash Day and Celson Patricinio sealed the win in the second half.

Nirvana`s league rivals Sleaford Town will feature in round four for the first time after a dramatic 4-3 extra-time success at fellow UCL Premier Divisiob outfit Yaxley.

Jon Stead gave the Cuckoos the lead before they had sub Wayne Morris sent-off, and then Dan Cotton hit the post with a penalty for the hosts.

Jac Wright equalised for the Greens in added time and they made their man advantage count in extra-time as David Hone, Ryan Oliver and George Asplin opened up a three-goal lead.

The Cuckoos pulled two goals back late on through Cotton and Sam Spencer.

Essex Senior League side Basildon United crashed out after they were thrashed at Creasey Park by Spartan South Midlands Leaguers AFC Dunstable.

The hosts hit the post early on before grabbing the lead on 20 minutes when a great run by Brandon saw him pick out BJ Christie who slotted home the opener.

Just past the half-hour it was two when a Brandon header from a Brothers free kick found the net and the hosts had a 2-0 half-time advantage.

Two minutes into the second half it was three when Cashman slipped in Christie who scored from a tight angle and they sealed the deal with 20 minutes to go when a mistake at the back by Basildon saw Christie set up Frater to score his first goal for the club and send the hosts into the last 32.

However, Basildon`s league rivals FC Romania and Hullbridge Sports are through.

FC Romania booked their place after winning a bad tempered encounter at Hertingfordbury Park against SSML side Hertford Town.

The visitors took a 32nd minute lead but then we’re reduced to ten-men in first half stoppage time following a dangerous tackle. However, the hosts failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage and 3 minutes from time a quick break and a cool finish saw the ESL visitors seal their place in the last 32.

Rob Hodgson`s Hullbridge side saw off a very good Thurlo Nunn League Stanway Rovers side at Lower Road to progress into the Fourth Round for the third successive season.

The visitors were on a seven-game winning run and we’re dominant in a first half in which they had the wind to their advantage. However, the second half saw Bridge create more chances and they took the lead with twenty minutes to go through Rory Clarke but then saw Reece Brandon dismissed.

However, the hosts held firm and clinched the win in stoppage time, thanks to Charlie Little and saw them take another major Thurlow Nunn scalp in the Vase this season.

Macron Store Southern Combination League interest in the Vase is over for another year after Eastbourne Town bowed out at home to Combined Counties outfit Sutton Common Rovers.

Goals from Wes Tate and Jason Taylor put John Lambert’s side 2-0 up after 55 minutes. However, a 16-minute hat-trick from Francois Gabbidon, including the winning goal 9 minutes from time, saw the visitors through into round four.

Two goals in the space of 6 first half minutes ended North West Counties League Premier Division side Alsager Town’s hopes of progressing.

After a bright start, Alsager were undone by some smart finishing by Midland League opponents AFC Wulfrunians, and as torrential rain fell during the second half, solid defending and good composure from the visitors in difficult conditions earned them a place in the next round.

Richard Palmer on 29 minutes and Jamie King 6 minutes later sealed the Bullets` fate.

Just one Southern Counties East League side will carry the flag into the next round of the Vase and that club is Ashford United.

Lordswood were fairly dumped out at home to league rivals Ashford United.

The Lords took an early lead through Ben Francis after 19 minutes and it took until 9 minutes into the second half before Ryan Palmer levelled the scores.

Michael Phillips gave the Nuts & Bolts the lead on the hour and Paul Booth converted a brace of spot-kicks on 70 and 75 minutes.

Palmer had the final word with his goal in time added at the end.

Canterbury City met Combined Counties League Knaphill at Homelands and fell to the side who had already put paid to the Vase hopes of two other SCEL sides.

Knappers took the lead on the stroke of half-time through Jack Mazzone but Dave Pilcher levelled for City just before the hour-mark.

Danny Taylor did the damage with a brace of goals on 70 and 76 minutes.


About Author

Comments are closed.