Pitchero ad

Saturday`s Friendly Review (Part One)…

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

A round-up of a busy Saturday of pre-season friendlies.

Vanarama National League new boys York City drew their final pre-season game 1-1 with Newcastle United’s under-23 side at Bootham Crescent on Saturday.

Summer recruit Aidan Connolly earned them an early lead that was cancelled out by former Celtic centre-back Stuart Findlay early in the second half.

Bromley inflicted a 5-0 win on former rivals and now National League South side Welling United at Park View Road.

Blair Turgott gave Bromley the lead right on the stroke of half-time.

Adam Cunnington extended their lead at the start of the second half.

Jack Holland then made it 3-0 for the Ravens with a close range header.

Despite numerous substitutions in the second half Bromley continued to dominate and it was one of the subs, Bradley Goldberg, who increased the Ravens lead even further.

Turgott completed the scoring for Bromley and made it 5-0 in the dying minutes when he slotted home from the penalty spot having been brought down moments earlier.

Bromley`s league rivals Aldershot Town couldn`t manage a goal though as they held League Two side Crawley Town to a goalless draw at the EBB Stadium.

Chester FC, however, suffered a 3-0 home defeat to Championship new boys Burton Albion.

Stuart Beavon had put the visitors 1-0 up before the break and Lucas Akins netted twice in the second half.

Newly-promoted Solihull Moors shared a 3-3 draw with one of the teams they replaced in the National League, Kidderminster Harriers.

Two goals in quick succession from Harry White and Stefan Moore had Moors in control.

Harriers reduced the arrears on the half-hour mark when James McQuilkin rifled a free-kick beyond Danny Lewis and in to his top corner.

And they scored a fantastic equaliser within minutes as a breakaway from Tyrell Waite found Elton Ngwatala who planted a header into the net.

Harriers took the lead with 2 minutes of the first half left to play when another counter attack ended with Gnahoua scoring.

Moors pulled back on level terms just past the hour-mark through an un-named triallist.

Eastleigh inflicted a heavy 4-1 defeat on League One new boys Northampton Town at the Silverlake Stadium.

Eastleigh took the lead midway through the first half through James Constable from close range.

The Spitfires then doubled their lead 4 minutes into the second half through the impressive loanee Mikael Mandron.

The Cobblers failed to clear Jake Howells’ corner, and Mandron volleyed into the net to make it 3-0.

It was to get even worse just after the hour-mark when substitute Scott Wilson scored from six yards.

Shaun McWilliams grabbed some consolation with 12 minutes left.

New-look Lincoln City were impressive in beating League Two Crewe Alexandra 3-0 at Sincil Bank.

Summer signing Adam Marriott scored twice, giving the Imps the lead after just 90 seconds and then, after Jack Muldoon had made it 2-0 in the 16th minute, Marriott made it 3-0 on the half-hour mark after being set up by fellow new signing Nathan Arnold, who enjoyed an impressive debut following his arrival on Friday.

Lincoln`s league rivals Gateshead edged a five-goal encounter with National League North side Boston United at the International Stadium.

Greg Smith`s header gave the Pilgrims a 28th minute lead.

Twelve minutes after the break the hosts were on level terms through Wes York.

Boston re-took the lead after 62 minutes with a fine drive from Jay Rollins.

But 60 seconds later it was 2-2 when Liam Hogan headed Gateshead level at the far post.

And the Heed took the lead for the first time in the 69th minute, York gifted with a tap-in after keeper Christian Dibble failed to hold onto a cross.

AFC Wimbledon and Dagenham & Redbridge were in the same division last season, but started Saturday`s friendly two divisions apart as the Dons earned promotion to League Two, while the Daggers returned to the National League.

A first half header from David Fitzpatrick secured a 1-0 win that came less than 24 hours after beating the Daggers` league rivals Woking on Friday night.

Tranmere Rovers showed some good form in beating National League North side AFC Fylde 4-1 at Kellamergh Park.

Andy Cook, Darren Stephenson and Adam Mekki took Rovers into a three-goal lead inside 25 minutes before Steve Williams pulled one back for the Coasters.

A Jay Harris header after the break put the gloss on the victory for Rovers.

Tranmere`s league rivals Wrexham edged a 2-1 win at Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division North side Hyde United`s Ewen Fields.

After Curtly Martin-Wyatt had given the Tigers a 10th minute lead, second half goals for Callum Powell and Khaellem Bailey-Jones, the latter coming in added time, decided the outcome against a side that the Dragons faced in the same division only two seasons ago.

Guiseley AFC shared a 2-2 draw with National League North outfit Curzon Ashton at the Tameside Stadium.

Curzon led 2-0 with goals from Connor Hampson and Iain Howard.

Jordan Preston reduced the arrears just before the break.

A Michael Rankine free-kick pulled the Lions back on level terms in the second period.

Boreham Wood`s good pre-season was completed with a 4-0 drubbing of National League South side Hemel Hempstead Town at Vauxhall Road.

Angelo Balanta got his first goal for Wood after signing in midweek, but not before new Hemel signing Jake Robinson saw a 5th minute penalty saved by Grant Smith.

Ricky Shakes added a second from close range after the restart before Anthony Jeffrey marked his loan return from Forest Green Rovers with a well-taken third.

Conor Clifford netted a fourth for Wood at the death.

Last season`s National League runners-up Forest Green Rovers edged out League Two side Newport County by the odd goal in seven at the New Lawn.

Rovers took a 4th minute lead when the impressive Christian Doidge set up Rhys Murphy to slot home.

County were level on 28 minutes with a powerful header from the Exiles recent signing from non-League football, Marlow Jackson.

The visitors took the lead after 57 minutes when Sean Rigg rounded keeper Sam Russell after a breakaway.

It was all-square again on 71 minutes when Matt Tubbs got on the end of an Elliott Frear cross.

And 5 minutes later Forest Green were in front again with a second for Tubbs with a header.

Just 3 minutes later it was 4-2 when Kieffer Moore got his name on the scoresheet.

County reduced the arrears 5 minutes from time from the penalty spot after a handball by Ben Jefford, dispatched by Jennison Myrie-Williams.

Macclesfield Town beat National League North side Stockport County 2-0 at the Moss Rose.

Goals from Chris Holroyd after just 2 minutes and then Danny Rowe after 65 minutes were enough to give the Silkmen victory.

The Silkmen`s new league rivals Sutton United beat former National League South rivals Ebbsfleet United 2-0.

Goals from Jamie Collins after 57 minutes and Dan Fitchett 4 minutes later won it for the newly-promoted U`s.

Barrow AFC were beaten 2-0 at Bower Fold by National League North side Stalybridge Celtic.

Second half goals from former Barrow striker Andy Owens and Kurt Sherlock sealed Celtic`s victory, and it got worse for the visitors as they had striker Ross Hannah dismissed late on for a bad challenge.

National League North fancies FC Halifax Town shared a goalless draw with League Two Accrington Stanley at The Shay.

Stanley goalkeeper Aaron Chapman saved a first half penalty from Jordan Burrow.

The Shaymen`s league rivals Nuneaton Town lost their second pre-season outing in less than 24 hours as NPL Premier Division neighbours Barwell followed the example of Coventry City and beat Boro.

The Canaries could even afford a Tyler Shannon-Lewis penalty miss late on as they were awarded another in the final minutes which was dispatched this time by Brady Hickey.

Worcester City earned a 2-1 win at the New Windmill Ground against Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division side Leamington.

City manager Carl Heeley names four un-named triallists in the starting line-up and two of them scored in the 24th and 44th minutes.

Former City striker Ryan Rowe closed the gap to 2-1, but the visitors held on for the win.

Harrogate Town had to be content with a 2-2 draw against NPL First Division North side Scarborough Athletic.

Simon Weaver’s men were made to work for it though, as Adam Bolder and Ben Igiehon had twice put the impressive visitors ahead.

Chib Chilaka levelled first for Town with a typically clinical finish after 29 minutes, before Joe Leesley’s whipped free-kick found the head of Simon Ainge who made no mistake from close range 15 minutes from time.

Newly-promoted National League North club Darlington 1883 edged a 3-2 behind-closed-doors win against Championship newcomers Barnsley.

Darlington’s new signings Mark Beck and Josh Gillies were both in target in the first half as Quakers built up a 3-0 lead by half-time, with Barnsley’s second string pulling two goals back in the second half.

Darlington`s new league rivals Tamworth eased to a 4-1 win against old rivals and now NPL Premier Division side Hednesford Town.

And the Lambs had to come back from being an 8th minute Jazz Luckie goal down to win.

Greg Mills levelled after 26 minutes and Tamworth went 2-1 up on 66 minutes as Ross Dyer set up sub Jed Davies to score from close range.

The Lambs made it 3-1 on 77 minutes as new signing Louis Briscoe and Danny Newton combined to set-up Jack Lane, whose sweetly-struck effort gave Dan Crane no chance.

Player boss Andy Morrell finished off proceedings late on with a fine volley.

AFC Telford United, however, were beaten 3-0 at the New Bucks Head by Birmingham City`s under-21 side.

Goals from Wes McDonald and Ronan Hale and a scrappy goal from substitute Alex Jones, condemned the Bucks to defeat in which Dan Preston was also sent-off late on for a hefty challenge on Wes Harding.

Chorley edged out NPL First Division North neighbours Bamber Bridge 2-1 at Irongate.

Marcus Carver and Sefton Gonzales were the Magpies on target, with former Chorley man Tom Williams reducing the deficit for Brig.

Chorley`s new league rivals Salford City shared a 1-1 draw at Welsh Premier side GAP Connah`s Quay.

A late 88th minute Matt Warburton effort earned the Ammies a draw after Ian Kearney had given the hosts a 48th minute lead.

FC United of Manchester were beaten 3-0 at home by League One Rochdale, whose goals came from Sammi Odqusi after 9 minutes, Scott Tanser on the half-hour mark and Andy Cannon on 66 minutes.

Luke O’Nien scored twice as League Two Wycombe Wanderers came from behind to beat National League South side Maidenhead United 4-1 at York Road.

The hosts went ahead through Dave Tarpey before Garry Thompson levelled and O’Nien grabbed his brace to make it 3-1.

Sam Wood rounded off the scoring with a superb strike from distance.

National League South newcomers East Thurrock United edged out newly-promoted Ryman League Premier Division side Harlow Town by the odd goal in five.

Harlow Town when Lewis Perkins stroked shot went close.

The Hawks opened the scoring in the 11th minute with a fierce low cross-shot by Alex Read.

An individual effort by James Walker saw Rocks equalise in the 34th minute.

Harlow re-took the lead with a neatly placed free-kick by Mario Noto just before half-time.

East Thurrock drew level in the 64th minute through Walker as he flew past the Harlow defence and steered the ball home from a very tight angle.

The Rocks upped their game and work rate and were rewarded with a winner from Harry Honesty with again a fine individual touch.

Concord Rangers won 2-0 at The Frost Financial Stadium against Ryman Premier Division side Canvey Island.

Concord opened the scoring on 23 minutes from the spot when Jake Pitty brought down Joao Carlos and Steve Cawley stepped up and slotted his spot kick home past Conor Gough.

The Beachboys doubled their advantage on the hour-mark in somewhat controversial circumstances when Carlos` effort was hooked off the line by Ashley Dumas but it hit Dean Mason and went in, although the ball appeared to strike the arm of Mason.

Oxford City flexed their muscles against National League North neighbours Brackley Town in front of a 227 crowd at St James`s Park.

City broke the deadlock on 38 minutes when Tom Winters’ cross was headed home by Louie Soares leaving City ahead at the break.

David Pitt levelled soon after the break for the hosts before Luke Graham put them ahead with a header after a corner 4 minutes later.

Pitt took his tally to two early in the fourth quarter to give the hosts a 3-1 win.

Truro City lost 1-0 at the Bob Lucas Stadium to Southern Premier Division Weymouth.

A goal by former City player Dan Smith 15 minutes gave the Terras victory.

Truro`s new league rivals Hungerford Town were edged out 1-0 by Championship Bristol City`s under-21s at Bulpit Lane.

Big Cameroonian forward Arnold Garita fired the only goal of the game on 55 minutes.

Poole Town, who came up with Hungerford, won 2-0 at Southern Premier Division neighbours Dorchester Town.

Goals from Nico Zancheta after 32 minutes and Luke Roberts 5 minutes from time sealed the Dolphins win.

Poole`s new league rivals Eastbourne Borough won 2-0 at Priory Lane against Ryman Division One South side Lewes.

Nathaniel Pinney and a triallist were the Boro scorers.

Another newcomer, Hampton & Richmond Borough, were edged out by the odd goal in five at the Beveree by Ryman Premier side Dulwich Hamlet.

Michael Kamara gave the Beavers a 12th minute lead that Nicke Kabamba doubled just 2 minutes later.

Ashley Carew reduced the deficit after 25 minutes and Omar Koroma made it 2-2 after 52 minutes.

Nathan Green grabbed Hamlet`s winner late on.

A 38th minute Brown goal from Cairon Brown settled the derby between Wealdstone and Ryman Premier Harrow Borough in the National league South club`s favour.


About Author

Comments are closed.