Pitchero ad

Steelmen Suffer Last-Day Agony

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

The issues to be settled in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division on the final day of the season concerned the final top five placings and who between Sutton Coldfield Town and Corby Town would take the last relegation place.

That is to be Corby after they were beaten 4-1 at Owen Street by a Coalville Town side with little to play for apart from pride.

Nathan Watson gave the Ravens a 15th minute lead that he doubled 7 minutes later.

Marcus Marshall (below) made it extremely tough for the Steelmen when he added a third in the 52nd minute.

Then on the hour-mark the Steelmen went down to ten-men when they had defender Aaron Brown dismissed.

Phil Trainer did manage to reduce the deficit 9 minutes later, but Coalville ended any hope of a Steelman comeback when Rory Coleman added number four in stoppage time.

Sutton Coldfield achieved the point they required after sharing a goalless draw at Borough Park against fourth-placed Workington AFC.

The play-off positions see Spennymoor Town finish as runners-up with Stourbridge third and Nantwich Town fifth.

The Moors won 2-0 at the Brewery Field against Barwell, thanks to goals from Graeme Armstrong after 50 minutes and Jamie Chandler 3 minutes later in front of a crowd of 665.

The Glassboys also won, 4-2 at the War Memorial Ground against Nantwich.

Trailing by a single goal at the break, Stourbridge turned in a superb second half display to turn the game around against their visitors, who will now have to travel to Spennymoor on Tuesday evening in the play-off semi-final.

The Glassboys fell behind after 18 minutes as rangy striker Vinny Mukendi slotted home past Matt Gould from Josh Hancock’s cross.

But sub Jordan Archer won a penalty 2 minutes into the second period, with Luke Benbow levelling things up from the spot.

Within 5 minutes, however, the Dabbers were ahead again through Hancock’s direct free-kick, and Stour looked to be the ones potentially facing a long haul awayday at Spennymoor.

But the match turned again as the Glassboys scored twice in 3 minutes.

First Stuart Pierpoint’s free header from Tom Tonks’s free-kick beat Daniel Gyoali from close range, and then Kayelden Brown stooped at the near post to head in Tonks’ cross from the right.

And Stourbridge made certain of Monday’s home tie against Workington with a fourth goal from Archer on 70 minutes.

It was tremendous entertainment for the crowd of 1,312.

Champions Blyth Spartans went on a high, hammering eighth-placed Grantham Town 5-1 in front of a crowd of 1,041 at Croft Park.

It was 2-0 at the break with goals from Daniel Maguire after 17 minutes and Robbie Dale on 28 minutes.

Maguire went on to complete his hat-trick in the 48th and 59th minutes, with Jarrett Rivers adding the fifth on 69 minutes – 2 minutes before Harry Clifton`s consolation for the Gingerbreads.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Richard Smith`s 52nd minute effort sealed Ashton United`s home verdict over already-relegated Ilkeston FC, while Frickley Athletic, also down, lost 3-0 at Mickleover Sports, for whom Pablo Mills, Andy Dales and Adam Baskerville all scored in the second period.

Skelmersdale United finished bottom, but at least gained a draw on the final day at Stormy Corner against Stafford Rangers, for whom Levi Reid finally cancelled out Beven Burey`s early 8th minute opener in the 78th minute.

Dale Hopson`s 66th minute goal separated Whitby Town from Hednesford Town at the Turnbull Ground, while Rushall Olymoic`s Stan Mugisha after 15 minutes and Craig Bannister on 69 minutes outgunned Halesowen Town`s Andre Johnson`s goal right on half-time.

Michael Bakare gave Warrington Town a 23rd minute lead at Matlock Town, whose Curtis Morrison equalised in the 65th minute.

And there was fun in the sun at Marine AFC as they shared TEN goals with Buxton!

The Mariners trailed 2-1 at the break with Luke Hinsley and Jo McGee for the Bucks and Matt Hamilton for the hosts.

Matty Williams made it 3-1 on 47 minutes, only for Jamie Mernagh to reduce the deficit 2 minutes later and then James Foley level up 2 minutes after that.

George Young made it 4-3 on the hour-mark, Dean Shacklock levelled again on 74 minutes and after Nick Walker had made it 5-4 to the visitors with 11 minutes remaining, Danny Mitchley restored parity in stoppage time.


About Author

Comments are closed.