Pitchero ad

Terras Lose – But Stay Up

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

A crowd of 1,696 bathed in Cornish sunshine and came to hail champions Truro City on Easter Monday at Treyhew…

….Road. However, in the end, despite a 3-2 defeat, visitors Weymouth were also able to celebrate at the final whistle.

Not even a late winner from ex-Terra Joe Broad was able to spoil the party as Weymouth secured survival.

After a delayed kick-off due to crowd congestion, Truro wasted little time in taking the lead with Marcus Martin rifling home in the 4th minute.

But the Dorset visitors equalised after 16 minutes when Lee Smith followed up to score after Jamie Mudge’s shot came back off the bar.

But almost immediately, City regained the lead when Ben Gerring brought down Les Afful and Scott Walker scored from the spot.

Three minutes into the second half Weymouth drew level when Barry McConnell could only turn a free-kick into his own net.

The game then looked to be meandering to a draw when, with 6 minutes left, Afful turned the ball into the path of Broad who calmly stroked it home to give City a seventh win on the trot.

The Terras` fans were able to celebrate after a torrid season because Didcot Town went down to a 3-0 home defeat to Oxford City, whose Lee Steele netted a hat-trick with goals in the 9th, 49th – a penalty – and 86th minutes, and subsequently fill to final relegation spot.

The only other issue to be solved was the `batting order` for the play-offs, and that finished up being Salisbury City at home to Cambridge City and Hednesford Town against Leamington at Keys Park.

Hednesford warmed up nicely after hammering bottom side Halesowen Town 6-0 at The Grove with Marvin Robinson netting a hat-trick, Chris Clements, Nick Wellecomme and an own goal completing the rout.

Cambridge beat Bedford Town 2-0 at Milton Road, thanks to Craig Hammond and David Kolodyndki efforts, while Leamington edged out Stourbridge 3-2 in front of 793 at the New Windmill, with Jamie Sheldon, Richard Batchelor and Luke Corbett outgunning Nathan Bennett and Paul McCone.

Elsewhere, Evesham United ended their five-year stay at Worcester City’s St George’s Lane with a 2-1 victory over Cirencester Town.

The Robins, who left their Common Road home in 2006, move into their new Cheltenham Road ground next season.

Goals from Marcus Palmer and Craig Wilding eventually proved enough for Paul West`s side, although the visitors did pull a goal back with 5 minutes remaining when Zac Westlake curled the ball beyond Robins keeper Nathan Vaughan.

Chippenham Town’s season ended with a disappointing loss at the Webb`s Wood Stadium against neighbours Swindon Supermarine.

Chippenham fell behind 13 minutes to a Mitchell Bryant and `Marine captain Dave Bampton doubled their advantage on 31 minutes.

Luke Hopper netted a 48th minute spot-kick to make it 3-0, with substitute Alan Griffin also netting from twelve yards as a consolation just past the hour-mark.

Elliott Sandy and Owen Story settled the derby at St James`s Park between Brackley Town and Banbury United, while Dave Allen`s 58th minute goal earned Bachley the spoils at home to already-doomed Tiverton Town.

And the derby at Meadow Park between Chesham United and Hemel Hempstead Town ended in a six-goal draw.


About Author

Comments are closed.