Pitchero ad

Tuesday`s Pre-Season Friendly Review

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

A round-up of some of Tuesday`s pre-season friendly fixtures.

In their first pre-season friendly of the summer, Vanarama National League club Altrincham failed to open their account against North West Counties League side Abbey Hey in Gorton.

Both sides wasted decent chances to score with James Lawrie’s shot against the post from a Jordan Sinnott cross, being the nearest Alty came to a goal.

National League club Wrexham had to be content with a 1-1 draw at now Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division side Colwyn Bay.

James Gray put the Dragons in front in the first half, but, in front of an excellent crowd of 784, Robbie Booth equalised with 20 minutes to play.

Martin Drury’s first game in charge of National League North club Bradford Park Avenue ended in victory with a comfortable 3-0 win at Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One side Selby Town.

Richard Marshall, Chris Howarth and Adam Clayton all scored in the second half as the visitors fielded two almost completely different teams in each period, with just goalkeeper Jon Stewart playing the full 90 minutes.

Torquay United ran out convincing 9-0 winners in their first pre-season friendly of the summer at Carlsberg South West Peninsula Leaguers Galmpton United.

Paul Cox’s side went in at the break six goals to the good in what was a useful opening run-out.

Ashley Yeoman led the way as he helped himself to five goals as Shepherd Murombedzi weighed in with a hat-trick and Jide Maduako added the other.

A youthful Kidderminster Harriers side picked up another win after an entertaining 2-0 victory at The Oval against Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division new boys Bedworth United.

It wasn`t until the second half that the National League side really got going but they looked good once they did, netting two goals in as many minutes once the hour-mark passed, sub George Cater pulling back sharply at the by-line for Dan Sweeney to snatch a finish at close range. Seconds later Cater was at it himself, supplying an equally impressive finish to find the back of the net.

Northern Counties East League Division One side Hall Road Rangers played their first game at their new Howarth Park ground. However, National League North neighbours North Ferriby United were in no mood to allow the home outfit to celebrate with a win.
A Ferriby side containing several triallists ran out 5-1 winners with goals from Ryan Kendall with two, Tom Denton, Danny Emerton and triallist Jamie Forrester – Chris Hudson had equalised for Rangers.
A goal on the hour-mark from the returning Sam Smith earned North Ferriby`s league rivals Brackley Town a 1-0 win at Communications Park against Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division South new boys Daventry Town.

Staines Town, relegated to the Ryman League Premier Division, took on Ryman Division One South side Tooting & Mitcham United on their 3G pitch and ran out comfortable 5-0 winners.

Goals from new signings Pat Cox and Michael Kalu saw the Swans 2-0 ahead at the break.

In the second period another new signing Luke Wanadio made it 3-0 before academy players Terence Vancouten and Prince M’Bengui added to the tally

Ryman Division One South side Worthing were beaten 5-2 at Woodside Road by a strong League Two Northampton Town outfit in front of a good crowd of 750.

Gozie Ugwu gave the Cobblers an early 5th minute lead that Ben Pope cancelled out.

But by the time Omar Bugil scored the Rebels` second from the spot after 64 minutes, the visitors were already 4-1 up.

Worthing`s league rivals Folkestone Invicta were beaten 3-0 at the Fullicks Stadium by League One Gillingham.

Debutant Rory Donnelly, Cody McDonald and Bradley Dack were on the score sheet as Justin Edinburgh’s men put in a strong performance.

Southern Division One South & West club Swindon Supermarine earned local bragging rights after beating League One neighbours Swindon Town 2-1 at the Webbswood Stadium.

Luke Hopper and Sam Morris both converted from close range, as Town’s backline failed to deal with `Marine’s aerial threat from corners.

A Michael Smith goal did give Town parity in the second half, but they could not find a leveller as Dave Webb’s side finished strongly.

Northern Premier League Premier Division club Workington AFC retained the Shaun Hocking Memorial Trophy after dominating their first pre-season outing at Wearside League Whitehaven from start to finish.

The Reds ran out 9-0 winners, with goals from Jake Simpson, Josh Calvert, Matty Tymon, Scott Allison with a second half hat-trick, Connor Tinnion and a brace from former Haven player Johnny Donat.

Northern Counties East League Division One side Hallam won the 155th derby with local Northern Premier League First Division South rivals Sheffield FC in front of a crowd of over 350 at Sandygate Road to retain the Alan Cooper Memorial Trophy.

It was all square at the interval then Ryan Hindley’s Hallam side took the initiative with 20 minutes remaining.

The visitors equalised in the last 5 minutes meaning the game would have to be decided on the dreaded but exciting penalty shoot-out.

At 4-4 with Hallam having missed their third attempt Sheffield stepped up to win the game but a big hand from Jack Dennison took the shoot-out into sudden death.

Hallam now had the initiative scoring their next penalty and putting the pressure back on Sheffield who lifted theirs over the bar to give Hindley his first piece of silverware and establish a good foundation on which to build the season.

NCEL Premier Division outfit, Retford United, were beaten 2-0 at home by ambitious NCEL First Division Hull United – managed by Curtis Woodhouse – whose goals came from Shane Hill and Brett Agnew.

Summer signings Liam Hudson and Marc Walton both scored brace’s on their debuts as Ebac Northern Leaguers Bedlington Terriers ran out 5-3 winners against Red House Farm at Blakelaw Park.

Hudson’s goals in the opening 22 minutes were cancelled out when the hosts pulled it back level at half-time, before taking the lead two minutes into the second-half through Jay-Jay Aplogan.

Stephen Buzzeo, also on debut, pulled Bedlington back level 2 minutes later and Walton then bagged two goals in the final half-an-hour to ensure that new manager Andy Ferrell got off to a winning start.

A new era began at Northern Premier First Division South club Carlton Town under Wayne Scott with a encouraging 1-0 win over a young Mansfield Town side at Stoke Lane in front of a crowd of over 300.

A goal from Debutant Richard Fletcher settled proceedings after a goalmouth scramble.

Sam Pearson had the honour of scoring the first goal for newly-formed Midland League club Hereford FC in their friendly at Malvern Town.

Joel Edwards and Dale Hodge added to the new Bulls` tally before Malvern scored a second to make the final score 3-2 in front of a fantastic crowd of 2,006.


About Author

Comments are closed.