Pitchero ad

Wings Win Sends Boro & Darts Down

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Struggling Welling United earned a vital 2-1 win over Wrexham at Park View Road on Tuesday night – a result which meant relegation was confirmed for both Nuneaton Town and Dartford.

Ironically, both Boro and Darts came up together in 2011/12 after winning their respective play-offs.

Welling went into the game knowing that three points would move them above Alfreton Town and out of the drop zone, and they raced into a 2-0 lead inside the opening 20 minutes.

The opener came after just 7 minutes, courtesy of a far post header from Sam Berry from a Dominic Vose cross.

The second arrived on the 20-minute mark when Vose fired past Andy Coughlin and in off the underside of the bar.

Wrexham continued their search for a replay and shortly after the break, Neil Ashton hit a shot over before Kieron St Aimie did the same for Welling at the other end.

Connor Jennings and Louis Moult both had chances for the Dragons and they eventually made Welling suffer a nervy final 8 minutes when a powerful effort from Andy Bishop reduced the deficit to one.

But the Wings held on and now have their fate in their own hands heading into the final two games of the season.

And on Saturday they face a real `six-pointer` when they travel up to play fellow strugglers Alfreton Town at the Impact Arena.

Southport could have virtually guaranteed their survival had they managed to beat Braintree Town at the Merseyside Community Stadium.

However, Port fell to a 2-0 defeat to leave them three points above both Welling and Alfreton.

The visitors broke the deadlock 11 minutes after the break when striker Jordan Cox bundled home Bernard Mensah’s cross.

Southport almost grabbed an equaliser in the closing stages but Connor McCarthy`s header went just wide of the upright.

And 6 minutes from time, Alan Devonshire`s side sealed victory when Chez Isaac fired home after good work from Dan Sparkes.

At the other end of the table, Eastleigh moved into fourth place after winning 2-0 at The Shay against an FC Halifax Town side whose top five hopes have disappeared.

An early 8th minute own goal from Marc Roberts and a sublime finish from James Constable on the hour-mark gave visiting Eastleigh all three points in Town’s penultimate home game of the campaign.

The match represented the final game in hand for both Halifax and Eastleigh, as both teams looked to finish the season strong and as high up the table as possible with just three games of forty-six remaining before a ball was kicked.

The Spitfires were yielding and in control for much of the game, Ross Flitney in the Eastleigh goal epitomised his side`s defiance, making himself big to deny Danny Hattersley from close range late on.

Eastleigh stuck to their task and were worthy winners, they move into the play-off places and Town slip to ninth in the standings with two league games to contest.

Tuesday`s other game saw Torquay United move level on points with Lincoln City after beating the Imps 1-0 at the Launa Windows Stadium.

It was typical end-of-season encounter that appeared to be heading for a goalless draw until Torquay substitute Ashley Yeoman side-footed home under Paul Farman after good work from Aaron Downes with 10 minutes remaining.


About Author

Comments are closed.